Rigid ducted dust extraction - any hints and tips?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice build. I'm really considering a Thein separator. Looking again at Pentz's cyclone designs, I'm just going to struggle with the required height.

I had the same problem with roof height that's why I went with the Thein solution instead of a cyclone..

I've got the Thein up and running but must admit I've got some issues with suction reduction to sort out.
The extractor unit is a 2hp Axminster ADE2200 which has a 6" inlet. I therefore made both the inlets on the Thein 6". The first 4m of the fixed ducting is also 6", then it reduces for 1,5m of 5" followed by about 7-8m of 4". Without the Thein and with a completely clean filter the suction was great before but now it's noticibly reduced. I also have problems with the slot in the Thein clogging up with chips from the PT. At the moment I've routed the exhaust straight out through the wall but when the winter comes and I have to exhaust to the filter I'm afraid there won't be any suction left !
Various places I've used quite a lot of flexible tubing as connections between various parts of the system. I've also got three 90 degree bends in the fixed ducting, although these are not abrupt turns. But probably the worst place is the connection to the Thein. There I come down at 45 degrees and connect to the Thein with a bit of 6" flexi. I've done a bit of research and it seems the ductwork into the Thein should be a straight as possible so the waste enters the vortex at as high a velocity as possible.
I'm planning to rationalise the system as much as possible with straighter duct runs and shorter lengths of flexi and hopefully this will improve things.
If all else fails I'll have to upgrade to a 3hp extractor :shock:

Mark

Latest posts

Back