Right tool for the job

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Learner Les

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to cut a number of small pieces of scrap (2 x 0.5 inch ish) using accurate right angles. My armoury of woodwork weapons includes bandsaw, jigsaw, circular saw, various handsaws, mitre saw (hand driven), router (and table).
What do you advise is the best tool for the job ? Any jigs that I could make/use?

LL,

By the sound of it your mitre saw. If it is what I think it is, the blade is guided in a frame yes?. So this tool will probably give you the most accurate cut.

For a small job as you describe, I'd use the simplest tools - a tenon saw, a try square and a bench block. Good practice for gaining those hand skills!

cheers

Ike

I find the best way to deal with more than a few pieces of the size you mention (what is the third dimension by the way - it might be important?) is to nail a couple of small fences to a bit of ply or melamineat right angles and that define two sides of your piece. You can register a back saw of one end of these or if needed nail another couple of bits for a "mitre box" arrangement.

This method removes the need to mark out successive pieces where erros can be introduced.

It is safer and quicker usually than using a power tool.

If they need to be really accurate right angles, then a trim on a shooting board after the saw would seem a likely course.

Cheers, Alf

Back