Right thumb 1/2" shorter - OUCH!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan, sounds horrid, sorry mate. Hope you will soon be better and back to work.

However, at least after the corrective op you will be able to bite your toe nail which is something I can no longer do on account of my beer gut.

Tony.

Escudo":2gqz5k7o said:
Dan, sounds horrid, sorry mate. Hope you will soon be better and back to work.

However, at least after the corrective op you will be able to bite your toe nail which is something I can no longer do on account of my beer gut.

Tony.

Cheers everyone!

My shortened thumb seems to be healing up and I'll be popping in at work tomorrow to see what I can do.

They tell me that within a couple of weeks their repair job should be usable. I really can't see myself going ahead with the bionic toe operation as it will involve 2-3 months off work and what sounds like a lot of pain in two places!

It was very interesting that when the surgeons found out I was a cabinet maker they went overboard trying to give me full use of my thumb again. If I'd worked in an office I honestly don't think they would have given it the same priority.

The plastic surgeon who operated on me described his job as '7 parts carpentry and 3 parts dressmaking!'

Everybody's experience in these matters is personal Dan, and my own experience is that if you can adapt to using what you still have, stick with it!
I'm minus the top joint of my RH index finger, and after a while I grew accustomed to it and adapted to it without any problems.

Roy.

Ouch.

I am only just starting to use a table saw and so got a dvd on how to use one partly because I don't want this to happen to me and I recognise that ignorance is dangerous.
The first thing that the guy did was change the gauard for one that looked like a box on rails that slid across the blade. Claimed it was much safe and more practical.
DVD was by Taunton. You probably know all this but thought I'd mention it in case you don't.

Pete

Sorry to hear about the accident Dan, but thanks for sharing it with us. It must be tempting to not mention it just to save looking daft. You're right, it's the repetitive jobs that you've got to be extra careful on.

Ted

Digit":3eg6q8q3 said:
Everybody's experience in these matters is personal Dan, and my own experience is that if you can adapt to using what you still have, stick with it!
I'm minus the top joint of my RH index finger, and after a while I grew accustomed to it and adapted to it without any problems.

Roy.

I'd second that. As a result of genetics and a silly accident with a pruning knife years ago, my little finger is now more or less completely clenched against the palm. But it's still useful occasionally. And the mess that they make working on tendons in the hand doesn't do anything for overall flexibility; they certainly don't give any guarantee of success :(

I dont wish that on anyone but i am amazed that "push stick" has not been mentioned here :? I dont use my saw unless there is a push stick close to hand !!!!!

I did some surgery on my hand with a bandsaw 14 months ago and spent three months with my middle finger held thus:

dscf1384fk0.jpg

Despite severing the extensor tendon, rupturing the capsule and removing some bone it didn't actually hurt very much. I did feel very stupid though. I haven't used the bandsaw much since then either.

I hope that the surgeons initial repair heals quickly for you Dan.

Andy

I personally always use a push stick, both for narrow off cuts and also for wider boards, to help balance the stock as it crosses the table.
I'm not trying to be smart buttocks as I'm minus a digit myself, but because I attended some absolutely dreadful accidents in my working life.
But accidents are, by definition, things that could not be reasonably prevented.
The biggest danger is boredom or familiarity, I once stepped back off a plank above a large water tank, and I can't swim! :lol: Fortunately I managed to retain a grip on the plank
The foreman never said a word, he was too busy laughing!

Roy.

I here have to admit I haerdly ever use a crown guard :shock: but I always, always use a push stick or pad on the table saw. It is better to renew one of these than have a finger stitched back on or even a hand for that matter. I do hope the finger heals well for you Dan and sorry to hear of the accident.

JFC":2l7ugfiu said:
I dont wish that on anyone but i am amazed that "push stick" has not been mentioned here :? I dont use my saw unless there is a push stick close to hand !!!!!

I was using a push stick!

The accident happened when I'd made the cut, had pushed the work through with the stick, had put the stick down, and was reaching over to remove the work.

All my own stupid fault, but a warning to everyone else as it's something that could happen to anyone settled into that repetitive groove you get into when doing the same job for any time.

Welcome back to the forum by the way, Jason!

Hi Dan

I'm sorry, but I must have missed this first time around.

All the very best to you. As my wife will testify, after losing the tip of a finger in a car door, it's a long old healing process.

Cheers,
Neil

Like Neil, I didn't see this first time around for some reason

Really sorry to hear of your misfortune Dan and glad it was not worse. I was in a similar position 20 months ago, and thankfully have 90% use of the damaged digits.

Hope your recovery is quick

Hi Dan

Unlike Tony & Neil, I did see this post first time round, but daren't look ! Last time I looked at a similair thread there was a picture, and me and saw injuries don't mix :lol:

Anyway, gathered the courage to have a read (although scrolling slowly for any indication of pictures), and wanted to wish you all the best in your recovery.

Personally, I don't think i'd be going for the "big toe" job - sounds like more hassle that it's worth. Like Digit says, you'll adapt - although I don't think 1/2" will make that much difference (although I bet you felt it!).

Cheers

Karl

Commiserations mate - all the best with healing and stuff (strangely reminded of the monty python sketch with a soldier in the 1800's tapping a fellas leg stuff that a tiger had made off with and asking when it would grow back...sorry strange brain patterns today).
Like I say good luck with everything - also this post has highlighted the number of incidences...
I was moaning last year about a severed nerve from a netsuke chisel (3mm) slip - nerve grew back but now I have a handy reference for 3mm and a healthy respect for sharp things.... THink I will show my power tools some respect from now on.
Ed

Yeah! The end of my finger was capped with flesh from further up my arm and I was told the nerves would never grow back. About 3 months later I tapped the end of my finger with a little hammer and I thought my arm was coming off!

Roy.

Some bright spark said to us a few months back that the sign of a good joiner is one with all their fingers,no...that's the sign of a lucky joiner was my reply.
There should be a few on here who can identify with that.

Back