Ridiculous things you believed as a child...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember a kid in junior scool saying thunder was the clouds banging together.

Pete

Every day on the way to school on the bus we passed the Rehabilitation day centre, it was years till I realised that it wasn’t an event it was a place, I think it was when I asked my mum when Rehabilitation day was.
I really was quite green when I was a kid.

One of my mates Dad's disappeared for quite a while.
I got bits and pieces of the story, I couldn't understand why he would be sent on a long holiday for stealing petrol from the company he worked for.

I used to believe that “toon holes” were real for ages. A black circle you stick to the wall and then jump through. I think I asked for one for about 3 Christmas’ in a row!

Wrestling! As a real youngster I watched Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks et al on the British productions, but when my Grandad got Sky it really started happening with WWE (then WWF). I remember being horrified when Shawn Michaels put Marty Jannetty through a GLASS window and the time Jake "the snake" Roberts let his snake bite The Macho Man Randy Savage.

I still find that snake scene horrifying!

I do puzzle over the fact that my 10 yr old grandaughter still believes in Santa Claus - her 8 yr sister is a bit more wordly wise and I suspect goes along with it. But then the parents do not give their family presents - every thing comes form Santa Claus. So who is misleading whom? The children cannot admit to knowing it's a myth because, not knowing otherwise, they then won't get any Christmas presents.

think of a Will E Cyotee portable black disc that when put on a wall becomes a tunnel

I still find that snake scene horrifying!

One of the best things on youtube these days is the former wrestlers talking about what went on and when people got hurt for real and when they didn't. As a kid, I thought they'd all figured out how to make things look like they hurt, but that nothing did and they all went home like a sitcom actor and took off any makeup ("fake blood" - of course we all thought it was fake blood, but rather they were just cutting themselves instead).

We thought the snake bite looked really real for a "fake snake bite!!". Apparently, Randy Poffo didn't like snakes, either, but he was nuts about trying to do good booking in every event he was in, even if he personally hated the assignment. He kept notes of all of his matches in different cities to make sure that he never wrestled a similar match or wore the same outfit (if avoidable) at a given location.

One of the best things on youtube these days is the former wrestlers talking about what went on and when people got hurt for real and when they didn't. As a kid, I thought they'd all figured out how to make things look like they hurt, but that nothing did and they all went home like a sitcom actor and took off any makeup ("fake blood" - of course we all thought it was fake blood, but rather they were just cutting themselves instead).

We thought the snake bite looked really real for a "fake snake bite!!". Apparently, Randy Poffo didn't like snakes, either, but he was nuts about trying to do good booking in every event he was in, even if he personally hated the assignment. He kept notes of all of his matches in different cities to make sure that he never wrestled a similar match or wore the same outfit (if avoidable) at a given location.

Yes, it wasn't until I read a few of the biographies that I realised how much they punished their bodies etc. Most of them were addicted to painkillers, if not worse.

Some of the full documentaries are really good, I'd recommend the Jake Roberts one.

My son lost a tooth and said. “There is no such thing as the tooth fairy, it is you who puts the money there”. He left his tooth under the pillow and next morning it had gone and there was a note but no money. The note said “he who does not believe, does not receive”. At least It gave him pause for thought and did not ruin it for his younger sister.

Yes, it wasn't until I read a few of the biographies that I realised how much they punished their bodies etc. Most of them were addicted to painkillers, if not worse.

Some of the full documentaries are really good, I'd recommend the Jake Roberts one.

The Tommy Billington one is also a great read, tragic, but great.

Not me but sometime into her twenties my sister announced that she disagreed with horse racing ‘as it is a really cruel sport‘. When asked to elaborate, she explained she hated that fact that the horse that comes last gets shot.
Apparently many years earlier she had seen the winner being paraded around but asked so what happens to the poor horse that comes last? Our mother had flippantly replied “oh - they shoot it”.

The Tommy Billington one is also a great read, tragic, but great.

Would never have guessed how rotten he was until hearing accounts by wrestlers who weren't buddies. Great performer, though, and dedicated to the performing, but a rotten dude - like a grown up school yard bully turned worse. Interesting that after Jacques Rougeau knocked his teeth out with a roll of quarters, his first respond was "good shot, mate" or something along those lines.

interesting to learn who the actual tough guys were as they often weren't the biggest most steroid bloated of the group.

Not me but sometime into her twenties my sister announced that she disagreed with horse racing ‘as it is a really cruel sport‘. When asked to elaborate, she explained she hated that fact that the horse that comes last gets shot.
Apparently many years earlier she had seen the winner being paraded around but asked so what happens to the poor horse that comes last? Our mother had flippantly replied “oh - they shoot it”.

A variation of that was floated here. There were two tracks near where I grew up (Within 45 miles, which in a rural area is more or less 45 minutes) - I never went to one because my sister's friend told us that any horse that gets injured (no matter how minor) is shot on site. As if there's a cart following the horses with a guy and shotgun with slugs just waiting to off a horse.

There was a huge horse farm near where I grew up that bred race horses, too - Hanover. I thought all of those horses were a misstep from being shot.

Courtesy of the BBC web page reporting on the cricket in Sri Lanka

" It does. But it also gives us an excuse to eat cake for breakfast which, let's face it, is the dream when you're a kid. " :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I remember a kid in junior scool saying thunder was the clouds banging together.

Pete
Part way there, except it is particles within the clouds banging together causing the lightning which causes the thunder.

Back