Richard Findley - Live Conkers Demo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sound issues aside, I learnt more in the first ten minutes or so of this demo than I have in hours and hours of other of other videos. Thanks for the heads up. Do you know of any more of his videos on youtube?

Sound issues aside, I learnt more in the first ten minutes or so of this demo than I have in hours and hours of other of other videos. Thanks for the heads up. Do you know of any more of his videos on youtube?

I think he only does private talks on Zoom. He seems to mostly use Instagram as far as I can tell.

I also found it really useful, I almost gave up because of the sound but was soon so engrossed I no longer noticed it.

I also found it really useful, I almost gave up because of the sound but was soon so engrossed I no longer noticed it.
Yes, I looked at the length and thought there was no way I'd sit through that, especially with the unsound issue but, like you, I was so drawn in that I stopped noticing the sound.

We will be having Richard back (minus the crackle we hope!) for another Conkers LIVE session next year!

Meanwhile, this one will be coming off YouTube in about a week's time, catch it while you can!

Meanwhile, this one will be coming off YouTube in about a week's time, catch it while you can!

I presume this is do to some licensing issue? I've found the video so useful and have been out to the workshop several times to replicate what Richard showed and then back to watch again when things didn't go quite according to plan. It will be such a shame to loose this.

I presume this is do to some licensing issue? I've found the video so useful and have been out to the workshop several times to replicate what Richard showed and then back to watch again when things didn't go quite according to plan. It will be such a shame to loose this.

If his talks are free on youtube, then people are probably less likely to employ him for private talks/tuition.

Seems fair to me.

It's the same woodturning360

'transatlantic' has got it in one, and thanks for understanding.

Demonstrators like Richard have had a huge chunk of their income taken away from them by not being able to give demos at clubs and various shows. Some have invested in the equipment needed to give online demos (and that's not cheap!) and if the demos were available permanently for free they wouldn't get booked.
And that's one of the reasons we started Conkers LIVE. We wanted to support the demonstrators that we've worked with in the past and those we haven't had chance to work with in person yet. We know that one demo for us isn't going to replace all their lost earnings, but every little helps and the added publicity for them will, we hope, increase their profile.

There's a thought to try and have a 'subscription service' (think Netflix) where for a small amount viewers can continue to watch the demos after they have been taken down from YouTube. (If we did this the demonstrators would get the bulk of the money). I have no idea how to go about something like that, and I'm not really keen either as we want to keep our demos free to watch, and this muddies the water a bit. Plus, I've got enough to do! When we came up with the bright idea of Conkers LIVE I didn't quite realise how much work it'd be! (I spent pretty much the whole morning after Richard's demo dealing with his fan mail!!)

I'd love to keep all of the demos up permanently, but it wouldn't be the right thing to do, sorry.

I fully understand, I certainly wasn’t expecting them for free. A subscription type service or a single payment to be able to watch for a few months would work for me but again I appreciate the work involved. Anyway send another fan mail to Richard from me!!👍

Thanks Richard.
When we've got a few more demos under our belt (we've got them booked up to May next year so far!) we'll look into options. I'll pass on your comments to Richard!

I'd love to keep all of the demos up permanently, but it wouldn't be the right thing to do, sorry.
Why not edit them down to, say, a ten minute video and use them as a promotional tool - 'book me for the real thing and here's a taster of what you'll get...' That way you can maintain a youtube presence?

An interesting idea Brian, and this has made me think about options for demos. I'd need to speak to demonstrators as well.

So, a quick straw poll...think about the cost of buying a DVD etc, and the charges for other on-line demos...
If we found a system for making the demos available AFTER being shown for FREE on Conkers LIVE, and the video was available to watch as many times as you wanted for as long as you wanted, what would be a reasonable cost?
Bearing in mind that if we administrate this we'd have to give 20% away to the VAT man, I'm thinking £10-£15 per video, with at least half of the fee going to the demonstrator.

This is just an 'off the wall' idea at the moment, no promises, but we're open to ideas and opinions....

Last edited:
As someone who is interested in exploring wood turning to support (literally!) my metal turning work I'd be very happy to pay 10-15 pounds for permanent copies of demos of this quality.

Thanks for making Richard's demo available, even if only temporarily - his clear explanations of tool geometry, cutting angles, grain direction &c have been very helpful to me as a tyro, and doubtless to many others who might, like me, be thinking of having a go but don't want to commit to taking a course. Yet.

Rob.

Based on Richard‘s demo here’s my first ever turning project:) It has a couple of small catches and I struggled to get a smooth cut in places, particularly the coves, but the tenon fits the mortise so not all bad.

A future suggestion would be to make the template available as a download. I sketched my own but the proportions don’t look as nice as I remember it.

I also purchased some sandpaper and sanding sealer from his website so some benefit sent back.

Richard
2D8231D6-2ADD-4394-8694-4B4EDF174385.jpeg

We send out bulletins by email about the demos we're hosting, and can even send a reminder an hour or so before we start.
If you want to sign up for them (we won't inundate you, I promise!) click here.

Hope to see you at a future one.

And, we're still working on the 'streaming idea', mixed response so far but it's still on a back boiler.

Thanks Terry now signed up.
I hesitated over the "are you human" question before I ticked the box :ROFLMAO: On the odd occasion after a few too many I don't always feel human, wife says I don't look it either. :oops:

Haha, only you can tell!
Thanks for signing up, you should get your first bulletin on Sunday with all the links etc. As you've also signed up for the reminders you'll get a quick email on Tuesday as well.
Cheers
Terry

Back