Rhubarb

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a healthy crop of rhubarb and a cupboard devoid of any chutney at the moment.

Anybody got any favourite rhubarb chutney or relish recipes? Don't mind a bit of heat or spice so suggest away!

Try it in a Rhubarb, Chillie and Dark Chocolate sandwich chutney. Strangely goes really well with a good strong white cheddar or wenselydale.

you only need a couple of grated bricks of Bournville size for the chocolate and about 6 small chillies (I use 4 red and 2 green finger ones) in a jar full

This is the states, so we put sugar in everything (but not sure you can make much other than face twister out of it without sugar).

Rhubarb pie was a perennial make by my grandmother, but so was pecan pie (with a nut layer going the thickness of the pie, not just as decoration on top).

Pennsylvania German heritage (which is not similar to continental euro german or urban german). No recepes, though, haven't had it in 25 years.

Ive been contemplating rhubarb wine.
But i then moved towards a rhubarb and caramilised onion spiced chutney.
My crop this year is pretty tiny so i will head to FILs allotment for a second stash at some point this week. The first stash went in to crumble as Yorkshire law dictates.

I love the stuff but the rest of the family can take it or leave it. I will stick some in vodka, crumbles and tarts. the jam is another idea though.

The old horse and cart has just passed the local lunatic asylum and as usual the horse has left its calling card. One of the neighbours is out with his bucket and shovel collecting said droppings and one of the inmates asks what he’s going to do with it.

’Oh, I put in on my rhubarb’ he says.

‘That’s strange’ says the inmate. ‘We have custard on ours in here’.

For me the best way is just stewed put in a big bowl with some honey and a touch of ginger and scoff

cut my dad's plant in 1/2 to restart it in France......
it never made it.......must have been an omen......
haven't had it since.....even Gooseberries.......shame.....

How many time does it have to be said. Putting clotted cream on first will lead to a soggy mess if you have a warm scone. To overcome this and keep the Cornish and Devonians happy, we up here in Dorset just stir the two together. :ROFLMAO:

Back to the Rhubarb, make Rhubarb Gin.

Nigel.

Add some dried currants or raisins or better still mix dried fruit to a bowl, add in a glug of brandy and let it soak for 24 hours.

Cook and reduce rhubarb down to a firmish texture, do not over cook.
Remove from heat and add in the soaked fruit, including any juices.
Peel fresh ginger, a cube about 2cm size, grated so as release its juice and break down its coarseness, and add to mixture, give it a good stir.

Return to the heat a further reduce down to absorb most of the liquid, set aside to cool, then use as a chutney.

I make a weak set rhubarb jelly that's great on ice-cream.
As for a scone, the clotted cream is (supposed to be) a really thick consistency that goes on first & means you can make walls to contain a lake of jam:giggle:

Back