Rhubarb season

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
We are at the height of the rhubarb season and mine is growing faster than I can pull it.
I don't eat a lot of jam, but a bit now and then goes down nicely, so when I saw this recipe I thought I'd give it a go. I wasn't sure about the chilli, especially 6 in two jars, but in fact I can't taste it at all, it is more of just a lift for the rhubarb.
So if you are into jam-making, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Yeah, we've had a staggering harvest so far this year. It's gone nuts. We use a lot of ginger with rhubarb recipes...... candied ginger in rhubarb fool is just great.

We just planted one in out garden, no chance of a crop yet, but next year should be good.

Pete

That's why I tried it, Will. As I say, I eat jam only occasionally, so making a dozen jars is a bit OTT, and all the people I would give them to make their own any. Coals to Newcastle.

Been too damn cold up here to grow anything. Peas are only 4” above the soil! Grrr

F.

I thought that mint was impossible to destroy, but from an entire planter of the stuff I have one single miserable stem. I don't understand.

Rhubarb cordial is easy to make, a bit of ginger in it works well, and can be had with water or added to g+t

Looking forward to planting some in the garden this year

Steve Maskery":20j2hujb said:
I thought that mint was impossible to destroy, but from an entire planter of the stuff I have one single miserable stem. I don't understand.
Healthy Mint spreads at an alarming rate via underground runners, I think it's for a reason, it needs new source of nutrients, trying to confine it never works long term in my experience.
mint1.jpg
mint2.jpg
mint4.jpg
mint5.jpg

Sorry not the best of images, it's getting dark out there.

Attachments

• mint1.jpg
    mint1.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 381
  • mint2.jpg
    mint2.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 363
  • mint4.jpg
    mint4.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 383
  • mint5.jpg
    mint5.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 364
I planted 3 big pots last year to keep it under control.

I was looking forward to a decent crop this year, unfortunately so were the vine weevil :?

Back