Rexon De1000f Extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

As dust extractors go this machine does what it is designed to do, extracts dust. I've had mine for 18 months or so and had time to see how well it performs. On the plus side its 580w motor copes well when extracting from my thicknesser, router tables, bandsaw, bench saw etc. No problems with extraction. On the minus side the clips holding on the pipe to the body and holding on the reducer on the end of the pipe siezed after about 6 months. Getting them off required a pair of small bolt cutters, since replaced with large jubilee clips. If the wood chips are slightly damp and are a bit 'stringy' when extracted the internal design of the machine soon causes a blockage. Where the chippings are sucked up and into the body before entering the bag there is a funnel with a metal rod in the center. Stringy wood soon gets tangled and causes a blockage as do larger wood chips.
The bag, as most bags go, is the usual nightmare to change, thanks to Tony by the way for his elastic belt tip, now makes changing the bag a pleasure and not a seriously stressful event! To make it easier, supposedly, Rexon have put small pointed clips where the bag is clamped on. You 'impale' the bag rim on these clips which again is supposed to aid with getting the bag held in place. A good idea I'm sure but the clips have a tendancy to be pushed up against the body making it very difficult to fast change a bag and requiring the need to go and search for a small flat screwdriver to unbend them so that the bag can be 'held' long enough to attempt to place the clamp.
The base has two multi-directional castors at the front and two fixed wheels at the rear making it easy to move around the workshop. The filter bag is held up by a steel rod but I found the rod was shorter than the bag without any adjustment so I replaced it with a steel rod of the correct length.
If you have the room then this is a machine to think about.

Chaz..
I'll back up what you've said here; I've owned the same extractor for about 2 years now and use has demonstrated the exact same probs / good points that you've outlined. A good basic extractor, only slightly underpowered IMHO; I've improved the airflow on mine slightly by changing the ribbed flexi pipe for slightly stiffer but smooth bore pipe.
The DC copes well with my thicknesser and benchtop jointer, struggles a little with my router table but that's due to poor baffling in the table.
On the down side, tempting though it is, this isn't a machine that'll cope with shop clean up after a heavy hand plane session; that veertical rod in the middle of the waste duct soon causes a blockage as the shavings hang up on it. Blockage clearence is straight forward if a little time consuming...
A good "first" dust collector... backed up with excellent tech support.

Hi Mike, you're right, as a 'first' extractor it does a good job but I can only suppose that that 'vertical' rod is to support the steel chasis, anyway, I've removed mine and now have very few blockages. I must add that as a workshop 'vacuum' it copes well with fine dust but as you rightly say has problems collecting plane shavings. The instruction manual was well written, as manuals go, but as yet I haven't needed tech support. I might try changing the pipe and I'm hoping to rig up a plastic dustbin in place of the plastic bag, using an elasticated thick clear plastic sleeve where the present plastic bag fits on and then put around the outside rim of the dustbin to make changing easier and quicker, something to be thought through though on a rainy day :wink:

I have one of these, and echo the sentiments. Anyone tried changing the upper sock for one with finer mesh? Supposed to improve performance, apparantly.

I have recently changed to a Festo CT mini something-or-other for connecting to hand-power-tools (router, circular saw), cos it's more a high pressure sucker than the HVLP of the twin-bag system. Seems to cope better with the chuckings from these than the Rexon, but the Rexon copes better with the high volume waste producers.

I haven't tried changing the upper bag yet, ES, but I can say that it is important to take it outside and give it a damn good shake often especially after very fine dust collecting, this helps keep the machine running smoothly and efficiently.

Okay, I must be missing something here. What's with this sucking up of shavings? Shavings can be swept up easy peasy, that's one of the things I like about them. Don't tell me the humble workshop broom is dying out? I may cry... :cry:

Cheers, Alf

Don't tell me the humble workshop broom is dying out?

naaaaa.... old knees.. nuicks an crannies... the DC was worth a shot when it was convenient... didn't fly...

the humble hand brush an shovel are a permanent fixture in my shop... something to do with carpet on the floor apparently...

Alf do you have to jump in at every opportunity promoting hand tools :lol: . Were just tryin to make a machine multifunctional to justify payin out for it .Although i am still trying to convince SWMBO that i can slice bread with my CSM saw :oops:

Sorry to drag up such an old post.. Just bought one of these at auction. I don't collect until next week. Can anyone tell me the correct bag size to order?

MJSJoiners":3mi4w5ij said:
Sorry to drag up such an old post.. Just bought one of these at auction. I don't collect until next week. Can anyone tell me the correct bag size to order?

None of the posters in this thread are visitors to this site any longer, you may wish to start a fresh thread in the general woodworking forum.

Latest posts

Back