REXON Bandsaw problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickWelford

So many tools, so little to show
Reaction score
I've had a Rexon BS10SA bandsaw (single speed) for some 10 years now, and it has just given up the ghost when I was sawing some boxwood branches into thin planks (may be a clue there!)
It seemed to run for a few seconds without any power then stop. First I took the switch apart (and probably destroyed it) but then tried to bypass the switch - the motor got very hot before it finally gave up. I reckon the windings have broken down.

Rexon will charge me £100 for a motor including delivery - is it worth it, or should I shell out for a newer, larger, better B/S? Or is there a cheaper motor I could use?

Nick.
I take it that you have checked the belt hasn't broke :shock:
I've got the same model and this as happened twice to me now in a short amount of time.Been a good saw though.
Paul.J.

As an update - dearly beloved bought me an Axminster AWESBS Floor Standing Bandsaw for an anniversary present - put the Rexon up on ebay and made £57!! I guess I ought to give it to her, really...........

NickWelford wrote
put the Rexon up on ebay and made £57!!
Had it been repaired Nick.

And-
I've had a Rexon BS10SA bandsaw (single speed) for some 10 years now
Still got another 5 years left in mine then :D
Paul.J.

Nice one Nick.
Can i ask what your new bs is like.
Seems a good buy.I was looking at that but there are so many to choose from,it's difficult to make the right choice.
Paul.J.

I'm happy with it - has much better depth and throat than the Rexon - altogether more sturdy. I think on the web it doesn't say 2 speed but there is a second pulley to drop the speed.
I've been sawing large branches with it and it just eats them up. I have a little fettling to do to improve it but is excellent for the dosh. Good guides too - bearings sides and back. One of the problems with the Rexon was the thrust bearing not revolving and cutting in - this has the bearings turned so they all roll along the band.
If you are in my neck of the woods - perhaps delivering yew to Graham, who is not far from here, you could pop in and have a hands-on! Always better to cut something to try it. Swap you some 2 inch box branches for yew ones.......

Back