Rex Krueger Video on Bailey/bedrock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droogs

Not the Sharpest Moderator in the box
Reaction score
So Rex has just put up a new video comparing the two and asks is the price differential of the Bedrock justified?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJMgHzoUGFo

what do you guys think

For me, I have never owned a bedrock but have used one and tend to agree with his conclusions

I've had some of each. There's no functional difference if you understand how a stanley plane works best (with the cap iron and not the mouth adjustment).

Bedrock planes sold new about 10% higher than bailey, but they sold poorly with that small price increase. When you see the actual "that was" kind of data, it should cause pause - are the people of the generation who invented flight, industrialization, wide application of the scientific method, etc, just so backwards that they didn't understand the value of what they could've bought for 10% more? Probably not.

I think the idea of moving the frog around and "it's built more solid" sounds great to collectors and especially beginners, but they have no functional advantage in actual use.

Even the later bailey planes where the frog faces are cleaned up on a belt sander (instead of milled) and the contact areas are small - will absolutely stop a grown man in their tracks before showing a weakness. That is, as long as the user is smart enough or experienced enough to set them properly.

The bedrocks are novel and pretty, though.

If you tighten the frog screws on a standard Baily plane, then loosen them about 1/8th of a turn, it is possible to adjust the mouth without removing the blade, although I never alter the mouth width as I have a second Baily #4 set wide with a cambered blade as a scrub plane.

Nigel.

I have never even had my hands on a bedrock. I did have a hunt for a while on Ebay but like Rex pointed out the money was way up there. It is interesting that they never really caught on but I guess tradesmen will only pay what they have to getting the job done.
Regards
John

Latest posts

Back