Reviving and Finishing Western Red Cedar Deck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damian33

Reaction score
Hi,

Not the usual woodworking type question but I am coming under a bit of pressure from the good lady to complete the decking project I started last year!

I started putting down some Wester Red Cedar decking last year and it has been left untreated over the winter and weathered accordingly with the UV, etc. She would like it cleaned up and the 'original' colour revived if possible and then oiled to give it some partial protection for the next 12 months.

Does anyone have any good practical advice and suggestions on the above, particularly on recommended products and techniques. Appreciate that you will never totally defeat nature but it would be nice to get back to a clean natural looking cedar deck if possible (and save me some grief in the meantime). There appears to be a minefield of products out there (the OSMO range seems interesting as I've used these indoors previously) but any words of wisdom would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Damian

Damian, based on trials done here I'd definitely recommend Osmo Wood Reviver. It's excellent stuff and will remove the grey effect very quickly. After you've used it, and are willing to recoat every year then I'd go for Liberon Decking Oil.

Please come back with any other questions, you'll need to apply 2-3 coats of Oil at a coverage of 15m2 per litre per coat.

Ian

Damian,

My school was built in 1934, and was clad in Cedar shiplap. That never had any treatment as far as I know, and it stood until arsonists attacked it the late 1980's. (Along with my initials that I scratched under the window-cill of every classroom I 'served' in! So don't let nippers near it with anything remotely sharp enough to bruise the wood!

Cedar wood benefits from an application of boiled linseed oil every year of course, as it does go brittle after many years. I doubt it will rot though. So the only reason to treat it is to keep the colour that your wife likes.

HTH

John

Back