Revising for exam

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am revising for exam and have a few questions need a help on.

1, Why is non-ferrous metal ironmongery normally specified for hardwood doors.

2, State three precautions to be taken when fixing softwood grounds to a plasted brick wall using masonry nails

3, Describe how twist can be prevented when assembling framework.

4, what is the reason for conditioning sheets of hardboard before fixing

Thanks in advance

Simuk

For (1) I would guess that possible tannic acid attack risks staining the wood and weakening the hardware.

For (2) - although I haven't done it much and that only as a very amateur activity. 1. Pick a good spot to put the nails in - don't pick the mortar. 2. wear eye protection. 3. If using a hammer , protect the soft stuff with a hammering mask (hardboard or some such).

How'd I do?

1 ferrous metals (containing iron) can cause disclouration in hardwoods

2 make sure there are no burried services in the wall/plaster, masonary nails are brittle and can snap so wear eye protection, don't hit your thumb

3 assemble on a flat surface

4 they may swell after fixing giving a bumpy floor

Jason

1. I would have thought that the main reason for non ferrous metals being specified would have been to prevent rust which will obviously occur in damp conditions and mark painted surfaces as well as timber.

2. Masonry nails shouldn't go deeper than 1 inch into the masonry. For a reason I don't understand, if they go any deeper their holding power diminishes significantly - therefore you need to match the nail length appropriately to the thickness of the timber

3. Agree with Jason

4. I think Jason is right about the swelling of hardboard floors but i was also told (no experience of doing it) that the conditioning process also causes the boards to tighten like a drumskin and therefore not move at all.

Cheers

Tim

Tim, never done it but have read that you should soak/wet hardboard before laying, that way it shrinks tight as it dries out. But as I don't fit vinyl etc I am not sure, always seem to be ripping it up and replacing with tiles or stone :D

Jason

1 2 and 3 as jason says

4 wet the hardboard and leave it expand before fixing :wink: thats how i done it years ago

1) I'd say that hardwood doors were typically often oak, and oak discolours to black in contact with ferrous metals.

2) as above

3) as above

4) If the hardboard expands, it'll warp and twist, therefore lightly sprinkle with water each sheet, and leave the whole stack under some plastic, it'll expand very slightly, and then once its fixed in situ, it'll dry very slightly, ensuring its in tension, rather than compression which is likely to cause the bumps and ridges.

Jason":1m1ncw50 said:
Tim, never done it but have read that you should soak/wet hardboard before laying, that way it shrinks tight as it dries out

I think we are saying the same thing. :)

Adam":1m1ncw50 said:
1) I'd say that hardwood doors were typically often oak, and oak discolours to black in contact with ferrous metals.

Sadly I think only in our world are they oak - I was looking in a joinery supplier catalogue and most of the hardwood doors seem to be made form timber of tropical or subtropical origin :cry:

Simuk, please ignore my comment about rust - I hadn't read the question properly and had inserted the word external into the sentence. Net result I might have got a bonus half mark while missing out on the 5 marks available for the discolouration comment. (how many times, how many times :oops: )

Whats the exam for? Good luck with it

Cheers

Tim

Thanks for the help,

sat the carpentry & joinery exams today & yesterday

Just got to finish the course work now. So will post some more questions on the weekend.

A couple of questions that i know that i failed

1)Who sets out a bay window from the footings.
2)What is the bar called in an external door frame threshold.

Simuk

Dunno, but its back as requested.

Going against the unwritten code of moderator rules of not undoing anothers moderating work I know, but well, you asked and I couldn'ts see a reason it shouldn't be moved back!

Adam

Thanks adam,
and if you get any trouble off anyone just tell them i threaten you with a piece of 4x2 :lol:

Simuk

Latest posts

Back