Revised favourite tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

A few months back I posed the question, 'which are your favourite tools' which proved to be a popular thread with some very interesting posts.

Well, times change and we all buy new kit and change the way we work so I thought I'd try it again.

Mine has changed a fair bit really

hand tools:
a) Clifton #5
b) Crown paring chisels
c) LN Rabbet block plane

Devils with tails:
a) Kity 419 + sliding table
b) SIP planer/thicknesser
c) Porter Cable 7529 1/2" router

Cheers

Tony

Who found it very difficult to choose between LN #4 1/2 and Clifton #5

Hi Tony

Tony":crc2cfgn said:

I'm interested in what made you choose the Clifton over the LN?

Neither of them have tails so they can't be very interesting. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

PS I'm off to that bunker now, please move over Gill.

Handtools
  • Boggs spokeshave
    LN low angle bronze block plane
    propelling pencil :shock: (well I use it just about more than any other tool, I've had it for about 10 years and it's caused me no trouble whatsoever - why not!)
Powered tools
  • Jet 60A
    Makita mitresaw
    Digital calipers (same reason as the pencil above :roll:)

thicknesser - i just love the way this manky, dirty, rough sawn piece of nothing special goes in at one end, and you watch the lovely clean, smooth grain pattern emerge at the other...and its face up so you get to see what you've really got to work with for the first time :)

Newbie_Neil":2822klvx said:
Hi Tony

Tony":2822klvx said:

I'm interested in what made you choose the Clifton over the LN?

Good question (can you see this from that bunker?). I don't really know the answer, I just seem to use the #5 more than the #4 1/2 - probably as I mostly plane edges rather than board faces.

In my opinion the LN is better made and finished, uses superior materials, is more attractive to look at but works NO better than the Clifton. Both required no fettling other than a quick hone :)

Cheers

Tony

Move over in that bunker, I'm coming in

As I don't think I've used any power tools to speak of since the last time, they might as well remain unchanged. Current favourites in hand tools:

1. 8" 15ppi pistol grip dovetail saw, maker unknown
2. L-N bronze block plane - still
3. Those Japanese chisels, rather to my surprise
3. a) Not exactly my tool to be a favourite, but the L-V medium shoulder plane. :wink:

Tony, a #5 for edge jointing? Tsk. Better get a #7 pdq, then you really will have trouble picking a favourite. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf
We have the same second favourite handtool. Should I be proud or deeply worried? I've heard the slope is a bit slippery!
Not interested in a Bogg's review? (Or did you miss the post?)

Aragorn,

Sorry, I thought you were joking! :oops: It's a wonderful offer, thank you. But I'd worry like hell about it; after all it's not like a review one where I'd happily bounce it on the concrete for test purposes... (I'm kidding, Martin!) That and I really have to do some clearing of the Tuit list before I embark on another review; TPTB get restless. :roll: Thank you anyway, I really appreciate the offer.

Of course, I don't have a monopoly on hand tool reviews... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Proud or deeply worried? Neither. Be afraid, be very afraid...

my kity419 has to be my fav.

I know its sad :D but I just love having a saw that make repeatable cuts 8)

save to say the clarke is gone :x

then its the thicknesser planer, and then the startrite 351E

have`nt got around to hand tools yet :oops: perhaps that`ll happen when I mature a bit :lol:

now theres a match to tinder .......... 8)

kind regards
steve

Alf":1lhvmvj5 said:
...it's not like a review one where I'd happily bounce it on the concrete for test purposes...
:shock: :shock: Yes... hadn't thought of that! Though I'm sure you'd treat it well!
Alf":1lhvmvj5 said:
Of course, I don't have a monopoly on hand tool reviews... :wink:
Ah, you see now that's where you're wrong - yours has set the standard :wink: and besides what would I compare it too? :D

Favourite tools etc:
My new Wolfcraft router table, already have one and love 'em.
NuTool bench planer, discovering new things I can do with it everytime I use it.

Hand tools:
2 1/2" rosewood and brass plane 'bullnose' which is great for finishing some of my smaller projects. It's made by the cheap 'n cheerful Rolson but is surprisingly good :wink:
Shark dowel saw, lovely little saw to use when cutting dowels etc flush with a project surface.

Difficult to say which is my favourite tool. There is one, however, which gives me a little frisson of je-ne-sais-quoi each time I open its box and take it out. The Fein Multimaster. This tool does stuff that nothing else will, and when I need it I need it badly. A kitchen fitter's best friend.
I must write a review sometime
John

Latest posts

Back