Review of Felder AF-22 Dust Extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Dalziel

Established Member
Reaction score
I have 2 types of dust extraction installed one for fine dust (record rdx2000)and one for larger chippings the Felder AF22. After having installed over 25 feet of 6” metal spiral ducting with 4” droppers, I needed something that would suck.
It had to be compact as my space is tight, after seeing one demonstrated I purchased the Felder AF22. I bought the stationary model, this bolts more or less onto a wall, although a made some other supports, its also very heavy for one person to handle, unsure of exact weight but, its heavy. It measures 1270mm x 560mm x 1930mm high. It is a 3hp single phase with a 6” inlet, the motor is mounted upside down and directly drives the 18”dia impellor. The on/off switch is mounted directly onto the motor. I initially installed it inside the workshop but the machine is loud, hearing protection was required so I eventually built its own little shed outside and operate it with a home made remote control set-up.
The machine is powerful, very powerful, it would suck the skin off a custard at 60feet without blinking. I have also installed the 3 micron pleated filter, this wasn’t really necessary as its now in its own little shed but I bought it before I decided to put it outside. The pleated filter, requires a tap every other day to loosen off any fine dust and I clean it with my vacuum whenever I notice my suction dropping. Bag changes are the easiest I have ever done on a dust extractor, unclip retaining clamps remove bag, empty it then clip back in again simple. It also has 2 waste bags operated by a simple lever flap diverter, once one bags full flip the diverter and fill the other. Bags are good strong polythene and are reasonably priced, I haven’t burst one yet.
Felder offer options abound for this, wheel kit, stand, various filter options and different intake options.
The price was £400 for the single phase option at a Christmas promotion, I now consider this a bargain as it keeps the workshop almost chip free.
Using it on my 15” thicknesser which is almost at the end of my duct run its performance is superb, almost no chips left.
I have blast gates positioned at all my outlets, I was using the planer one day and had left my tablesaw gate open, I noticed that it didn’t take the chips away as efficiently as norm then i noticed the other gate open, it did take away 45-50% of chippings still not bad for 2 gates open, but definitely better with only one being used.
I’ve given an honest opinion of my views on this extractor, hope it was of help
Regards
Ian Dalziel

<Point, point> He's got a Felder :shock:

Ian Dalziel":x73jj4zy said:
The machine is powerful, very powerful, it would suck the skin off a custard at 60feet without blinking.
Now there's a test I'd have liked to have witnessed... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Great review, the only comment I have is that if you have the extractor mounted in a little shed "oustide" (like me also) you should always mention the risk of pulling carbon monoxide fumes into your workshop if you have a central heating boiler in the workshop itself. Basically, the low pressure caused by the extractor, can cause the exhasut gases of the boiler to be be pulled into the workshop through the boiler!

Just a thought!

Adam

Ian Dalziel":2l4igpe1 said:
The machine is powerful, very powerful, it would suck the skin off a custard at 60feet without blinking.
Oh, this is a standard test for any extraction unit :wink:

Hi Ian

A very nice review.

My favorite line both Aragorn and Alf pointed out but it certainly does give me the impression of power.

Thanks for taking the time.

John

Latest posts

Back