Review - FB6SET15 Axminster Forstner Bit Set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently I needed a 35mm hinge sinking bit for a cupboard door project. A CMT TCT bit was upwards of £20 and I couldn't justify that much considering the amount of use it would get. I plumped instead for a set of Forstner bits that could be a whole lot more useful for many other jobs and the Axminster set seem very reasonable at £39.95 for 15 bits. I did however have reservations, as the rule that you generally get what you pay for usually prevails in these cases.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the presentation and finish of the set - being supplied in a sturdy wooden case with foam packing, and each cutter has a plastic protective cap. The cutters 10, 12, 15, 16, 18, 20, 22, 25, 26, 28, 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50mm (an equivalent Imperial set is also available) have a gold coloured finish, the purpose of which I am not sure. It is similar to those 'Titanium nitrided' drill sets you see around. The overall length is 3-1/2" of which the top part of the shank is smooth ground to 10mm dia.

I tried the cutters out on pine and some oak. They cut a clean sided hole but were a little rough in the bottom. Cutting off the edge of the timber left some tearout. The cutting edges were not very keen. On most cutters there were quite a few nicks albeit small ones. All could be stoned out. I honed a couple of the cutters that I wanted to use right away using a minature slip stone and the cutting performance was then perfectly satisfactory with minimal tearout on off-edge scallops. A slow cutting speed is best suited for the cleanest cut and not to overheat. They may not hold an edge for quite as long as better quality bits (I don't know yet) but at this price I think they are excellent value for money.

Highly recommended :D :D :D

ah the mystical art of tuning/sharpening a set of forstner bits.

could somebody come up with a guide to this mysterious art??? I have`nt got a clue and could benefit from some pearls of wisdom....

kind regards
steve

Steve,

I can't speak with the gravitas of a time-served Forstner Bit Tuner. For what it's worth (probably not a great deal) i used the only small oilstone I have at the moment. It's a baby slipstone about 1-1/2" long by 3/4" wide with a tapered cross section with a small radius edge and a larger radius edge. It's OK for the larger bits but not the smaller ones. I saw a set of minature ceramic stones in Axminster that might be just the ticket for sharpening various bits including tickling up my morticer chisels as required. :idea:

Ike

Back