Reverse running grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been perusing update options for my cheapo wet & dry grinder (as I do from time to time) and spotted this idea: Creusen's reverse grinder & honer. Cheaper than Tormek or Sorby ProEdge.

I do everything freehand and get decent results on turning, carving & general tools, so lack of jigs isn't really an issue. Anyone tried this, or have thoughts?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/creusen-koch-honing-system

Reverse honing is for Carving tools, of very little use for turning tools because it's all too easy to round over the bevel edge which results in a bevel riding tool that presents a blunt edge or a cutting edge with no supporting bevel.

I did this for sharpening carving tools a few years ago.
Basically I swopped the guards end to end, hey presto reverse running. Think about it while making a circular motion with one hand.
Luckily the grinding machine was on a bolt on base which was easily turned around to bring the power switch to the front again.
My machine has a diamond crusted rubbery wheel at one end and a cotton wheel at the other.
HTH, xy

CHJ":39hlncaa said:
Reverse honing is for Carving tools, of very little use for turning tools because it's all too easy to round over the bevel edge which results in a bevel riding tool that presents a blunt edge or a cutting edge with no supporting bevel.

Good point Chas; I understand the need for a flat or slightly concave bevel for turning. But then, turning tools don't need honing anyway. I wonder though, if reverse grinding might leave a stronger and more troublesome burr on the edge, making honing a necessity - in which case this system would be a poor choice for turning tools.

Back