Reverse Mounting Jaws/Chucks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I've got 2 Axminster chucks; SK100 and SK114. I'm thinking of getting some jaws to reverse mount things. What sort of jaws would you recommend?

The options I've looked at are Button jaws and woodplate jaws.

Does anyone know what the sizes of the button jaws ralates too? That's to say, does a 250mm size button jaw set hold a 250mm bowl, or is that the size of the plate?

I'm also thinking of getting the wood-plate jaws and making my own button jaw plates. Has anyone done this? If so, how successful was it? (Subject to being accurate enough in making them, of course.)
Many thanks

Size is the diameter of the plate.

I have both, I would say you would find the button jaws (Cole Jaws) far more versatile than the wood jaws.

Wood jaw plates come into their own if you want to make specific holding jaws but you need to spend more time forming them to task in hand so tend to be job specific as oposed to speedy change in holding size that's inherent in Cole Jaws.

Explore the versatility of other brands of buttons and making your own to increase the versatility of the Cole Jaws.

I base the Cole Jaw recommendation on the fact I rarely have a turning session where I don't use mine.
You will get maximum choice in available reverse mounting diameter on your SK114 with its extra jaw travel, on 100mm chuck you can often find the diameter you want with standard buttons in between available ranges.

The wood Jaw Plates, used in the Cole Jaw roll, once every 3-4 months.

I have a set of wood plate jaws permanently set up with stepped wooden jaws for holding internals of boxes.

You could also consider a Longworth Chuck. I have the 400mm Axminster button jaws and a 14" Sorby Longworth chuck, which I use with an Axminster SK100 chuck. I much prefer the Longworth, for ease of use, speed of mounting and for true running. It's a beautifully engineered bit of kit.

You will need to mount them in a chuck that can be locked to the lathe spindle as otherwise the mass of the jaws will cause the chuck along with the jaws and bowl to unscrew when you stop the lathe. I forgot to lock the chuck one time and it was a scary moment - that's a considerable mass to come unscrewed and jump off the lathe into you lap.

Because of the weight of chucks and blanks I got used to turning the speed right down before switching off. This was after a brown underwear moment. :D It's a good habit to get into, anyway - it saves the risk of switching it on again accidentally at full speed with something out of balance on it.

phil.p":31sudg0b said:
Because of the weight of chucks and blanks I got used to turning the speed right down before switching off. This was after a brown underwear moment. :D It's a good habit to get into, anyway - it saves the risk of switching it on again accidentally at full speed with something out of balance on it.

I do that - the mass of the button jaws, the chuck and the item being turned combined can still cause the chuck to unscrew if it is not secured to the spindle.

Latest posts

Back