Reverse direction turning safety

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a child in the 60s my dad took me to the Colchester Lathe Co. open evening where their machines were demonstrated. I clearly remember a young guy demonstrating quite a large lathe with a with a ‘big’ chuck winding up the speed to quite a whine and then he virtually jumping on the brake bar !! 😳
An instant horrendous bang as the headstock spindle bent and ploughed through the gearbox. Not quite the demonstration the management had intended !
My other memory it that they had a lathe auto profiling small brass bells about 70mm high with Co. name on it that they gave to the public….. I must still have mine somewhere … anyone else got one ?

After a ‘near miss’ a few years ago I modified my Axminster lathe to include a positive chuck locking pin.
Also a 10 position locking pin for stationary hand sanding .
I also reinforced the bearing housing and the spindle …. I was turning crazy large lumps at the time !!
5B2F1ED9-0C40-4FE6-8E50-72D0FEE7EAC6.jpeg

vfd on a three phase machine. Many of them incorporate quite powerful braking. I have a Huan Yang on my Harrison. Just on the factory default settings moving the lever from forward to stop will bring a heavy 8 inch chuck to a dead stop from 1200 rpm in about 3 seconds,
If it is a real concern, you should be able to program the stopping time on the VFD and change it from 3 seconds to something more sensible for a big chuck. It could be PD 015 to set the deceleration time and PD026 to set the deceleration mode .

Back