Reversable Lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm about to have a new starter fitted to my lathe, which has a reversable motor. The electrician has pointed out that he could fit a Forward/Reverse Starter, but it is pretty expensive.
My question: what are the advantages of being able to reverse one's lathe?

UpstartThread97":38xpqnei said:
I'm about to have a new starter fitted to my lathe, which has a reversable motor. The electrician has pointed out that he could fit a Forward/Reverse Starter, but it is pretty expensive.
My question: what are the advantages of being able to reverse one's lathe?
What make and model lathe are you talking about, it may affect the benefit you may get.

Depending on your turning methods and body agility it is often easier to work on the internals of a piece by having the lathe in reverse so that you can see what you are doing and gain access without having to lean over the bed.
S29.JPG

You will need to make sure any chucks and face plates used in this way have locking screws fitted to prevent coming loose due to turning loads.

If your motor is a single phase one and has the capability of reversing then it is most likely a case of adding a switch with appropriate contact arrangements to change the position of the starting capacitor feed in its existing wiring. Usually a rotary one Rev-0-Fwd.
start.jpg
startr.jpg

A more expensive new switch.

If it is three phase then it is a case of just switching two of the phase wires over.
A reasonably cheap switch.

In both cases this is in addition to the NVR safety starter switch.

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 232
  • startr.jpg
    startr.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 277
  • S29.JPG
    S29.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 232
By expensive you shouldn’t be looking at more than £20! I’d you are, they are up selling at your expense.

On a wood lathe I’ve never seen the point of reverse.....you have to be able to turn with either hand .....IMO!

+1 for no obvious advantage.

Manufacturers can offer a reverse by simply reversing a pair of connections on a 3 phase motor, however using reverse safely requires some thought e.g. remembering to lock the chuck/faceplate to prevent it unscrewing - which is one extra unnecessary operation and/or expense.

Results with a friction sander don’t get better when running in reverse as results are only dependent on technique. Turning the headstock allows good access so the need to turn in reverse are diminished.

My lathe has small holes on the switch shroud to allow a mechanical stop to be fitted to inhibit the reverse action. The majority of chucks work best with the smallest gap to the headstock and additional collars added to allow a locking facility interfere with this, which puts additional strain on headstock bearings.

Latest posts

Back