Retrofit fence for Record PT260 Planer Thicknesser?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C**p ain't it! :roll:

Unfortunately I wouldn't know where to get a retrofit fence (or I'd have one by now!).

I thought it was just me!

I spoke to a RP rep at Stoneleigh show over the weekend - he patiently went through the setup with me, but to no avail, and suggested that for accurate planing - reset each time using a square....!

Looks like we're on our own with this one, but if you do find an alternative... please let me know.

Dear me, and I thought the Maxi's was bad. :( I have a little shim I have to wedge under the clamping end every time, and even then only parts of the fence are actually square to the table. Useless piece of <bleep> :evil:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":grfwbwst said:
even then only parts of the fence are actually square to the table. Useless piece of <bleep> :evil:

Exactly!! :evil:

I don't even bother trying any more

When I complained to the RP sales guy at Yandles in April, he suggested I should use some lapping paste to make the fence better. Sadly I couldn't think of a suitable witty retort at the time, but I guess we should all complain to RP so they know their fence is sub-optimal. I found putting some paper between the fence and the fence holder made it square for the angle I wanted, but it is pants really.

Maybe we'd be better off making our own fixed fences, say at 90 and 45 degrees. There must be some plans for such out there somewhere...

Pete

Scott":2phmgmzm said:
Alf":2phmgmzm said:
even then only parts of the fence are actually square to the table. Useless piece of <bleep> :evil:

Exactly!! :evil:

I don't even bother trying any more

Ermmm !!! It seems my rigid diy bracket must be the best yet then perhaps I should get it patented :) At least it is 100% 90deg to the bed. I suppose it would be quicker to hand plane anything not 90deg.

I doubt if Record are interested in what we the user says, as long as the jurno's give them good revues in the wood mags they will keep advertising with same mags. :(

Not wanting to get this thread pulled or being banned from this excellent forum, I'll restrict my description of this fence design to "it is utter rubbish"

Lord Nibbo":3vxsmaud said:
I doubt if Record are interested in what we the user says, as long as the jurno's give them good revues in the wood mags they will keep advertising with same mags. :(

That's the bit I can never really understand. This machine is a clone along with the SIP and a few others. They all have the same fence and yet all the mags seem to give them good reviews (that's why I bought one!). The only slight criticism I can recall was someone a couple of years ago (possibly Alan Holtham) saying in a review of one of them that there was a lot of slack in the fence but it was solid enough when tightened up. Nobody seems to say that the fences are warped and it's impossible to get them tightened down square! Everyone (punters not journos) seems to say the same so it can't just be me!

I understand that the mag reviews are aimed at certain price brackets where there are can only be certain levels of expectation but surely a square fence on a P/T shouldn't be an unreasonable expectation in any price bracket???

Scott

(who's thinking about flogging his to some unsuspecting Frenchman!)

I would be happy if my Fence stayed at 90 deg! Actually, your idea of fitting a 90 deg angle block to the fence might work on my Maxi.
Thanks,
John

Lord Nibbo":2aubvdh1 said:
I suppose it would be quicker to hand plane anything not 90deg.
Yes, that's about the only good thing about it... :lol:

dedee":2aubvdh1 said:
Scott":2aubvdh1 said:
(who's thinking about flogging his to some unsuspecting Frenchman!)

That's very apt and in the true spirit of Trafalgar :lol:
Mais oui! :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1p155978 said:
Mais oui! :D

Umm, Alf... Trafalgar isn't anywhere in Cornwall :p

Back on topic, the fence on my Perform P/T is the another one of these. I can just about force it to 90 degrees and then lock it down, but it requires checking with a square every time I move it. So I don't :roll:

Ditto I have an EB P/T nice machine but to set fence to 90 :( :( :cry: :cry: toys out of the pram job. Spoke to a metabo guy at Yandles "nice machine any retrofit for the rubbish fence" reply "no :!: wish there was I have one and agree they are rubbish" . His advice take fence apart and rough up the cam and follower with sandpaper, fit back together with no grease should be better. Have not tried it yet as fence is still sort of square, next time I move it will try.

Les

All,
I've forwarded this thread to Lee Birtles / Tony at RP - I've previously contacted Lee with this issue - and asked them to comment / suggest a fix.

RP response:
"With regard to the fence, it is always advisable to check the fences with a square for work where specific accuracy is required.

If you have any further queries with your machine, our technician, Tony Rhodes, will be able to advise you."

I've only just bought this RP - it was a close call between this and the Axminster - both £500 - know wish one I should have got.... however the RP had a 5 yr warrantee - now I know why - it won't fail as I'm not going to use it as much as I wanted to!

Sean

FYI their email addresses (should you wish to contact them...) are:
[email protected]
[email protected] (tech expert)

Thanks Sean but I don't think I'll bother contacting them..... a hand plane seems altogether more relaxing than all this.... :wink:

Stop Press: Record Power forces customers, lemming-like, headlong down the slope! :D

Seriously though, I'm not excusing the poor fence but I've had mine long enough now that I can no longer muster the enthusiasm to complain bitterly about it. It does the donkey work of timber preparation so it'll do me until I upgrade (it'll have to! :) )

Scott
(in mellow mood)

shockingmoment":3nwdzigv said:
All,
I've forwarded this thread to Lee Birtles / Tony at RP - I've previously contacted Lee with this issue - and asked them to comment / suggest a fix.

RP response:
"With regard to the fence, it is always advisable to check the fences with a square for work where specific accuracy is required.

If you have any further queries with your machine, our technician, Tony Rhodes, will be able to advise you."

I've only just bought this RP - it was a close call between this and the Axminster - both £500 - know wish one I should have got.... however the RP had a 5 yr warrantee - now I know why - it won't fail as I'm not going to use it as much as I wanted to!

Sean

FYI their email addresses (should you wish to contact them...) are:
[email protected]
[email protected] (tech expert)

Thanks Sean.

Rather than making a nuisance by pestering them with emails I hope they reply on this thread so we can all see if they are prepared to come up with something decent, I'll settle for something half decent, I'm even prepared to spend more dosh just to get something better than the original rubbish adjuster

RP response:
Yes, but which bit of the fence? :roll: Doesn't help when it's more in wind than the wood. :lol:

I imagine, as they've given the Maxi the boot, I'll be advised to go away 'cos they don't do that machine any more. Although "pop up to our training centre in Sheffield" has been suggested before. Yep, I'm nice and handy to that after all. ](*,)

But anyway, like Scott, I'm resigned to the thing now; I may have even got used to its hopelessness and idiosyncracies. "I've grown accustomed to this fence" (My Fair Maxi). :lol: Judging by their defunct forum, Record never made any attempt to address the numerous problems owners of the Maxi have had, and evidently now feel the same level of care is due PT260 owners. At least the Metabo/EB guy made an effort to suggest something to help. :evil:

Cheers, Alf

Fortunately (or unfortunately) as a new WW my dealings with RP are short lived - I've only had the thing 2/3 weeks so as yet I'm not disillusioned with their Customer Service dept.

I do hope they read and reply to this thread - at the very least, in mvho, feedback such as this should be used to further improve their product range.... or am I sounding totally nieve now! The rest of the machine seems pretty good and well up to what I pass through / on it.

As a new ww, my tool chest is somewhat lacking, and will need to be built up over the coming years.

At the very least, the RP response will teach me a relatively inexpensive lesson... or will it!

Back