Retro-fit DAB car stereo - aerial recommendations? Ones to avoid?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, as per the title I have bought a DAB+ stereo for the truck, so need to now get a DAB aerial.

I see lots of "stick to the glass" types advertised, but would prefer to avoid this. Has anyone used an aerial that bolts to the front wing like wot cars used to have in the olden days? And if so, has it worked OK?

Any things to avoid?

Many thanks

There are loads available that can be fitted to a wing or a roof so I'd suggest you google and do a bit of research, some of the companies on line will freely offer advice if you ask and tell them what you need to do, here's one. DAB, AM/FM & TV Car Aerials & Antennas

I fitted a roof aerial to my motorhome a couple of years ago as these are notoriously difficult to get a decent signal because of the extra coachwork and thick roof panel, I would have fitted a wing aerial because it's easier but the bodywork of the hab area would stop the signal, you can also get cheapos from China on ebay but you usually get what you pay for and there seems little point fitting a unit that's going to lose signal because you've skimped on the aerial, a bit like buying a saw and trying to use it with a blade that doesn't have teeth. ;) :ROFLMAO:

"do a bit of research" - that's what this is!! ;-)

Thanks for the reply. The truck's windscreen slopes fairly sharply (for a truck) away from the mounting point on the wing, so hopefully would permit a clear signal. I had never considered that the motorhome's shape might be an issue in that regard.

It's a classic (at least in my eyes) so I don't want to drill holes in the roof, so will try to find a wing one with good reviews.

Thanks

They do another one - Autoleads Magnetic DAB Antenna | Halfords UK - magnetic one which may or may not work for you.
I've got one of these on my Defender and the DAB reception is excellent, especially considering how small it is. I haven't tried it direct onto bodywork as I wanted no wire showing so I pugged the existing aerial hole with a round plate that had a bolt welded to it and placed the strong magnetic base on that. It has rusted over the last 4 years I've had it but still performs well. I will be replacing it with the same model this year.

"do a bit of research" - that's what this is!! ;-)
I wasn't trying to be funny with my suggestion but this forum isn't proper research surely, it's just limited opinion and limited personal experience unless there happens to be a member who's an expert on DAB installation. You're much more likely to get informed advice from a truck or vehicle forum or better from some of the dealers who sell several brands.

Back