Retrievable, or firewood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I probably wouldn't bother. To say for sure I would need it in my hands to look at. If I decided not to turn it, it wouldn't be based on safety, that's what your visor and head bump is for. Hopefully, future you will be turning all sorts of 'dodgy' pieces where bits or even chunks will come flying off. Certainly look at getting a decent head and face protection like the riot helmet (a bit hot for extended use but designed to repel house bricks) or an Air-Cap type all-in-one (my choice). I would also take on board what Inspector said for future wood windfalls to attempt avoiding splitting in most situations.

I am of the mind of "If you have to ask then there is doubt in your mind in the first place so don't turn it until comfortable".

We all like to make unusual pieces but we also need to do so safely.

Please think that when answering these posts that the Originator may be a total novice that is why I pointed out that I had been turning for quite a while before attempting the piece that I showed earlier and I would never encourage a novice to turn such a piece until they had more experience. Yes we do need to encourage new turners but lets do it safely.

If I decided not to turn it, it wouldn't be based on safety, that's what your visor and head bump is for.
Reading this is totally the wrong way to look at it it sounds like you are saying turn a piece of wood that is dangerous I am OK I have a visor. Just because you wear a visor it is to prevent accidents if something lets go not an excuse to turn obvious dangerous pieces.

Without seeing it and handling it, wouldn’t advise it for someone new.
If it where the last piece I had, I may be tempted, but for a new turner, nope.
If it lets go on you, and it might, apart from doing you physical injury, may seriously dent your confidence with turning. A carefully selected and prepared blank can fly of the lathe at any time, without the need to increase the likelihood it may happen with a piece like that.
As others have said, chop it up for other uses, pen blanks, pegs etc.

Watch this first, skip to 4mins 40 seconds, would make me think straight on fire!

Ok, so I took the advice of the majority and binned that piece! Thanks to everyone for guiding my thought processes....

I tried my luck instead with a different piece of mulberry with one significant crack out from the pith, though not as wide as some of those on the original piece, and some shallower cracks round the edge, took it slowly and carefully with faceshield on and standing out of the direct line of fire, put plenty of CA glue in the cracks as I went along, and ended up with this, which I am quite pleased with on the whole. I do like the unusual colour and strong grain pattern if this wood. 17.5 cm diameter.
PXL_20220225_102450762~2.jpg
PXL_20220225_102554148~2.jpg
PXL_20220225_113313911~2.jpg

Ok, so I took the advice of the majority and binned that piece! Thanks to everyone for guiding my thought processes....

I tried my luck instead with a different piece of mulberry with one significant crack out from the pith, though not as wide as some of those on the original piece, and some shallower cracks round the edge, took it slowly and carefully with faceshield on and standing out of the direct line of fire, put plenty of CA glue in the cracks as I went along, and ended up with this, which I am quite pleased with on the whole. I do like the unusual colour and strong grain pattern if this wood. 17.5 cm diameter.
View attachment 130282View attachment 130283View attachment 130284
Nice job, 👍

Back