Retail Price Maintenance - I thought it was illegal.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have been looking at various web sites to compare prices and the Jet equipment, presumably because of the Axminster link, is apart from pence the same price wherever you go.

Surely retail price maintenance (competitive selling price) is illegal in this country and also illegal under eu law.

Does anyone know whether this applies to machine tools?

Thanks
Curious Neil

I believe in a quite public case, SONY were prosecuted for that a little while ago, strangley retail outlets that were selling SONY tvs for under the rrp (by a long way) strangley were`nt getting any stock delivered.......
strange that!
:?

Wake up and smell the coffee. It's a bit like murder. Totally illegal, depressingly common and yet more difficult to prove!

stevenprigg":3o2pvgg4 said:
I believe in a quite public case, SONY were prosecuted for that a little while ago, strangley retail outlets that were selling SONY tvs for under the rrp (by a long way) strangley were`nt getting any stock delivered.......
strange that!
:?

30 years ago I lived in South Africa where retail price maintenance was illegal. The 1st hypermarket in the country opened a mile from home. Everytime they tried to get goods from the big electrical companies they were told there was no stock. They then used different names for the same stock & delivery was almost immediate. They told the govenment department who forced the electrical companies to supply the hypermarket.
It CAN be done if officials want to do what they are supposed to.

Back