restricted pivot - pikler triangle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nirajshah31

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello
i'm designing a pikler triangle - you can google what is a pikler triangle
I wanted advise on how to design a pivot - see picture.

1) this pivot uses a bolt (red), which seems to allow a restricted movement between closed and open (to as is in the picture).
2) the black bolt is just used to once open it remains in place but isn't required for support/structure.

how is this made?
how can i add a feature that allows for opening to different angles whilst also maintaining structure & would the support then be on the bolts and how would i ensure it's secure & safe?

thanks
niraj

Attachments

• pivot.JPG
    pivot.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 659
  • closed.jpeg
    closed.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 617
  • open.jpeg
    open.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 617
Welcome niraj.

That's a tiny image. It would help if you could upload a larger version so we could see what you are trying to ahieve.

MikeG.":9humrzg7 said:
Welcome niraj.

That's a tiny image. It would help if you could upload a larger version so we could see what you are trying to ahieve.

added to original post

The simplest way would be to have one bolt to act as a pivot & a second removable bolt that passed through corresponding holes around the circumference of the hinge that allowed the angles you required.

A thin metal plate fixed on both inside faces of the hinge that the bolts pass through would give added strength whilst not being visible.

thanks. I wasn't keen on this as it sticks out and is a potential hazard when using the climbing frame.

Doug B":1xoy09xb said:
The simplest way would be to have one bolt to act as a pivot & a second removable bolt that passed through corresponding holes around the circumference of the hinge that allowed the angles you required.

A thin metal plate fixed on both inside faces of the hinge that the bolts pass through would give added strength whilst not being visible.

do you have a picture pls? i'm thinking there are holes between the pivot bolt and edge of the round wooden disc? so the metal plate requires the same holes as the wood as it's sandwiched in-between?
thank you

Blimey. A climbing frame changes the dynamics somewhat. I presumed it was for drying washing etc.
In your first picture the red bolt is the pivot. Both parts of wood can move freely. The black one is secured into the internal part. By cutting a curved channel in the outer part similar to the compass but at the top (Just under the red pivot) means you open the frame and gravity holds it open. No need to tighten any bolts etc.
With ghee scale of the wood being used you could engineer it to be mechanically sufficient or as Douglas suggested, use a metal plate on the internal faces.

nirajshah31":17q4t7fj said:
Doug B":17q4t7fj said:

do you have a picture pls? i'm thinking there are holes between the pivot bolt and edge of the round wooden disc? so the metal plate requires the same holes as the wood as it's sandwiched in-between?
thank you

I don’t have a picture it was how I imagined I’d do this the easiest way I could, but you seem to have grasped what I’m thinking.
Doing it this way would lock off the hinge preventing any unwanted movement in the hinge during playtime use.
To keep the nut & bolt heads child friendly you could recess the nuts & bolt heads into plastic spheres which would also make them easier to grip so tighten securely. I’d also add a park position for the bolt, holes that correspond when the frame is folded flat which would help prevent loss of the removable bolt

Doug B":2hcj8ht8 said:
nirajshah31":2hcj8ht8 said:
Doug B":2hcj8ht8 said:

thank you

I don’t have a picture it was how I imagined I’d do this the easiest way I could, but you seem to have grasped what I’m thinking.
Doing it this way would lock off the hinge preventing any unwanted movement in the hinge during playtime use.
To keep the nut & bolt heads child friendly you could recess the nuts & bolt heads into plastic spheres which would also make them easier to grip so tighten securely. I’d also add a park position for the bolt, holes that correspond when the frame is folded flat which would help prevent loss of the removable bolt

OK got it!
Would i do this on both sides or just one side?
"I’d also add a park position for the bolt, holes that correspond when the frame is folded flat which would help prevent loss of the removable bolt"
I don't get it - Pls explain
thank you!

nirajshah31":35vcbisd said:
OK got it!
Would i do this on both sides or just one side?
"I’d also add a park position for the bolt, holes that correspond when the frame is folded flat which would help prevent loss of the removable bolt"
I don't get it - Pls explain
thank you!

I’d do it on both hinges.
When the frame is not in use & is folded up for storage have a hole that when the bolt is inserted it holds the frame in that position which will also prevent the bolt from getting lost.

Hi guys
Say I don’t want multiple angles but use the bolt to ensure the frame stays in that position.
Is there a way that the bolt isn’t the only support keeping frame open? But just there to ensure it doesn’t close.
So without the bolt gravity would keep it open.
That means there needs to be some sort of restriction to the pivot mechanism... how would I achieve that? So it allows from closed to 60degree open
Thanks

nirajshah31":3206zzpb said:
....... there needs to be some sort of restriction to the pivot mechanism....

Mechanically that is the very worst place for any restraint mechanism. I say again, how about a rope connecting the two frames at ground level? To try to do it at the pivot is just asking for trouble.

A straight arm will do for 1 angle. Out of use can hang down.
Are we getting a percentage if you sell these? :|

Bm101":38ezva2k said:
With ghee scale of the wood being used you could engineer it to be mechanically sufficient .

Hi- please elaborate- ghee scale?! How would I engineer it to be safe without using a bolt?

Ghee... *the
Typo.
Sorry.
Unless this is for a particular project you aren't telling us about, Mike has the easiest design by miles for a one off for your kids. Two bolts and rope. If its for something more involved then maybe share some knowledge?

Bm101":q5l1oyo7 said:
A straight arm will do for 1 angle. Out of use can hang down.
Are we getting a percentage if you sell these? :|

Oh yeah- a bar at the bottom.. I was hoping to keep that clear though.
This is just a project to make it for my son! Rather than buying/ordering from China!

Bm101":odxc3s7n said:
Ghee... *the
Typo.
Sorry.
Unless this is for a particular project you aren't telling us about, Mike has the easiest design by miles for a one off for your kids. Two bolts and rope. If its for something more involved then maybe share some knowledge?

Sorry- where would the rope go? How would it help to keep open?
I can only imagine the rope being useful when closed
Ta

Latest posts

Back