Restoring Ercol Daybed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VENNY

Reaction score
I have bought an old Ercol daybed to bring back to life. I was going to strip the original varnish off it. I’ve heard that Nutromors is no good anymore. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good product. Any other advice about restoring Ercol would be great as well. Thank you.

Hi Venny, there are two? Main colours of Ercol, my kitchen table and chairs is now a sort of inoffensive yellow? as apposed to the dark brown/ black variety
I discovered that a bit of a rub on the bad bits and then going over it all with Button French Polish brought it back to life, you could no longer see where all the chips and marks had been, I had been quite horrified that I would need to strip them, not a job I would have wanted at all. Ian

Hi Venny, there are two? Main colours of Ercol, my kitchen table and chairs is now a sort of inoffensive yellow? as apposed to the dark brown/ black variety
I discovered that a bit of a rub on the bad bits and then going over it all with Button French Polish brought it back to life, you could no longer see where all the chips and marks had been, I had been quite horrified that I would need to strip them, not a job I would have wanted at all. Ian
Hi Ian, cool name 😎
The daybed is a project and I payed a project price for it. I’m going to need to strip it back so I can bring it back. Im quite looking forward to it, maybe naively.
The other half can do the reupholstering but the resting the wood is down to me. Ian

I have successfully used screwfix no nonsense paint stripper on Ercol furniture, being water based it does raise the grain somewhat but that is easily cleaned up. I painted a thick coat on and then covered with cling film to stop it drying out, after an hour I scraped it all off, wiped it down and then put a second coat on and repeat. Wipe it down with a damp cloth several times and then leave it to dry. I then hand sanded going through the grades until I was happy with the result. Ercol is laquered but unless you are good with a spraygun then use an oil, I used Chestnut finishing oil and then finally a coat of wax.

This is what it looked like after stripping and sanding.

8C4E3A5B-329B-422D-9060-B53B4E99B441.jpeg

I try and find a photo of the after as well....

I have bought an old Ercol daybed to bring back to life. I was going to strip the original varnish off it. I’ve heard that Nutromors is no good anymore. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good product. Any other advice about restoring Ercol would be great as well. Thank you.

Good question..

I also have a Ercol project to tackle - in my case a Jubilee settee. It has the original blonde finish (if that is the correct name) and that is rather scuffed, there are a few splits in the bent sections that need to be repaired and the finish appears to have gone a bit dull/grey in parts. I was hoping not to have to strip it, particularly as there are many spindles, but I think that is the only answer.

I would be very interested to know how you get on @VENNY - also what you decide to refinish with.

Cheers

Anyone had any luck with a tinted oil to keep some richness in the elm. Pieces I’ve refinished have ended up very pale in comparison the 60 year old original patina

Good question..

I also have a Ercol project to tackle - in my case a Jubilee settee. It has the original blonde finish (if that is the correct name) and that is rather scuffed, there are a few splits in the bent sections that need to be repaired and the finish appears to have gone a bit dull/grey in parts. I was hoping not to have to strip it, particularly as there are many spindles, but I think that is the only answer.

I would be very interested to know how you get on @VENNY - also what you decide to refinish with.

Cheers
Have a look at my comment-nr2, it’s worth trying, it’s cheap quick and easy and the results will probably save you a ton of work. Ian

Latest posts

Back