Restored 1840's Grandfather Chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin dwyer

Established Member
Reaction score
I prepared this one earlier ... bought this chair from the tip, yep, they're mean round here. Took it completely to bits and dunked it in borax solution to kill any woodworm. Has a new oak leg as I wasn't even going to begin to try and find beech. I cut four inches off the far side of the seat and replaced it with mahogany which meant boring a few new holes as well. Glued it back together with 3M aircraft epoxy in three stages, first the legs, then the sides and lastly the back slats and comb just because I couldn't be bothered to give myself a hard time and I'm not an octopus. The 3M aircraft epoxy is brilliant because it doesn't go off for an hour and sets like concrete.

ukw8.JPG

Attachments

• ukw8.JPG
    ukw8.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 129
Looks nice... A worthwhile project Kevin.

Just the job for a PC chair. (I'd need a cushion, now though; because of weight loss, my bones are sticking out! :lol:

Thanks John, this one got sold on ebay and was little person sized ! but, if you like that sort of thing Jack Hill's country chairmaking book has a smokers bow in it, which reminds me that I quite fancied having a go at making it. or ... have a look at what Ashem Crafts are up to, they do some courses and looking at what's made the standard is well, fine looking. http://www.ashemcrafts.com/courses_england.aspx

I looked up how the sides were made on this chair to make the balls at the top - way to scary for me - something like an offset four by two on the lathe - nooo way.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for that info. I'll note it... Mind you, I'm not into making those kinds of chairs at the moment. I am busy designing eight (Inc two carvers) 1930s style dining chairs. :mrgreen:

But I have been keeping an eye open on the flea-bay for a decent static chair, of this sort just for my PC. The swivelling. rolling chair I use now is ruining the carpet, and there isn't space to put down a piece of MDF! :D

Back