Restoration question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenko

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just aquired a writing slope, possibly Victorian and in severe need of TLC. I'm fairly comfortable with most of the restoration needed, however, I have one question ....

The pen tray is severely warped when viewed end on. It appears to be made of cedar and has been veneered with Walnut on the top and not veneered on the bottom hence it has curved upwards. My question is, can I straighted out the curve somewhat by retro veneering the base or would adding some finish to the base pull it back a bit.

Many thanks fellers,
Mick.

Just a thought, but are you sure it's not meant to be warped? Sounds daft, I know, but sometimes these pen trays are deliberately curved on the underside so that by pressing on one end, the other lifts up to give access to the compartment below the tray?

Tenko,

I think you'll find that Dick is correct.

That's how I made the pen tray on a reproduction writing slope for my daughter. It took her three days to find out what was rattling around inside! (A fountain pen) And I even put a 'riddle-me-ree' in the box as a clue!

John :)

John/Dick,

Lenghtwise the pen tray has the usual pieces underneath for it to rest on and pressure either end tips it up for removal. As I said, its warped end ways on looking at it in cross-section because its only veneered one side.

Mick.

Mick,

If the pen tray has warped due to veneering, then I would imagine a 'counter' veneer would pull it back, but the wood will be very dry I should imagine. Can you not make a replacement, and soak off the veneer for re-use? I have some pieces of cedarwood lying around if you don't happen to have any.
No walnut veneer mind! But some scraps of mahogany veneer for a counter. You'd be welcome. :D

Back