Restoration of Startrite SD310

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good writeup Ian, I have one of these, single phase. I havent done a full jobbie ;ike you, just gave mine a good clean up. I will look into doing what you did re setting up the tables next time I have to do major works. It took me so long first time but for blades I used similar method to you, the 2mm thing. I had bought some of the magnetic gauges that sit on the main blade cylinder. You can imagine I was a bit p'd off when I realised the cylinder wasnt magnetic.
(hammer) Oh well live and learn

Cheers Danny

I always imagined that i would be replacing bearings and belts but rather did think I would be manually stripping and cleaning the chassis to hand paint with Hammerite
I'm pleased that I had it profesionally done
I didnt start out thinking it would be a full restoration

Ian

If anyone has an official operators book I would love a copy

Nice job Ian, you must work quickly 20-30 hrs to do all that. I think I must have put in about 250 hrs on my saw upto now. How did you go about cleaning the tables?
Mark

Tables I cleaned with a angle grinder mounted wire cup brush the ones with twisted wires then a belt sander with 120 grit then a solvent such as MEK to clean then a wax finish
But it was only cleaning off surface rust there was no heavy pitting
30 minutes putting clean timber through cleans cast iron better than anything else
The biggest time saver was having the parts blasted and painted

Ian

Hi, I know it was a long time ago but I have just read your account of restoring the startrite 310. Could you possibly tell me the size of the knives and, if possible, where to obtain them? Thanks Brian Minchin

They are 310 x25 x3 mm and are available on eBay search for robland knives but make sure they for sd310 otherwise you have to cut a slot out for the adjusters to fit into

Back