Restoration of a Stenner ABM 18" Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

Just thought I might mention this Stenner ABM for sale on eBay, located in Syston Leicester, United Kingdom, just in case someone might be interested. I don't know the seller, but he has helped me with some questions I had about the machine (which he obviously didn't have to do, knowing I was unlikely to buy it being located in Australia).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stenner-ABM-1 ... 4abc08cf9f

If nothing else it has helped me clarify the parts that I have been looking to replicate using just the drawings supplied to me by Melbourne Matty on the Australian Woodwork Forum. It looks to be more complete than my one was (from the photos, except my one came with the overhead guard), although some parts have obviously been replaced.

diagram 1.jpg

diagram 2.jpg

diagram 3.jpg

I have now fully torn down my machine ready for painting, including having the motor fully stripped down (which was the hardest thing to do, but only because I wasn’t sure how it was supposed to come apart and didn’t want to break anything, now that I know it would be easy) and dismantling the rise and fall mechanisms. Although I can't comment on the condition of the one listed on eBay, I can say that the build quality of these machines is very high and it is definitely over engineered. I have stalled a bit on the process in the last few weeks, but have all the photos of the strip down process (I just need time to sit down and list them all), plus I have been preparing my workshop for a new arrival (a Wadkin EQ Spindle Moulder with lots of accessories that looks to have had little use).

Anyway I thought I might mention the table saw, as the price is currently at $255 and this machine although perhaps not as pretty as the Wadkin PK, seems to share a lot of characteristics and also offers a 5HP motor.

Cheers,

Camo

Attachments

• diagram 1.jpg
    diagram 1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 66
  • diagram 2.jpg
    diagram 2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 66
  • diagram 3.jpg
    diagram 3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 66
Hi all,

Thought I would give a bit of an update on the saw. It is starting to come back together, although I am waiting on a hairline fracture in a section of the fence support to be repaired (found it when preparing for painting). Below are some pictures of the table saw as it stands now:

Before:

old1.jpg

old2.jpg

Base section together:

base completed1.jpg

base completed2.jpg

base completed3.jpg

base completed4.jpg

base completed5.jpg

Motor goes in:

motor in.jpg

motor in2.jpg

Sliding Table:

add sliding table 2.jpg

more on next post (must have hit a limit on photos?)

Cheers,

Camo

Attachments

• old1.jpg
    old1.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 46
  • old2.jpg
    old2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 46
  • base completed1.jpg
    base completed1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 46
  • base completed2.jpg
    base completed2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 46
  • base completed3.jpg
    base completed3.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 46
  • base completed4.jpg
    base completed4.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 46
  • base completed5.jpg
    base completed5.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 46
  • motor in.jpg
    motor in.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 46
  • motor in2.jpg
    motor in2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 46
  • add sliding table 2.jpg
    add sliding table 2.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 46
Sliding Table Continued:

add sliding table 1.jpg

painted 3.jpg

And just to check to see if people are reading (actually if anyone does have any information, please share), I think this must have been to insert a zero clearance (frame machined like this front and back, with 2 threaded hex head bolts front and back):

what were these for.jpg

Anyway that is what I am up to so far (bit slow last couple of months).

I also recently picked up another Stenner, the Stenner MAE Spindle Moulder. This machine is shown in the 1955 leaflet that has the table saw. For those familiar with the Wadkin EQ, it has very similar features (I also have an EQ so have been able to look at them side by side). I bought this as a backup (it has the same motor, magnetic switch, and an upgraded mushroom on off as the table saw), but also because I have a soft spot now for Stenner machines of a similar age (the newer stuff wouldn't fit in my workshop :mrgreen: ):

Stenner MAE.jpg

Stenner MAE catalogue image.jpg

Stenner MAE photo 2.jpg

Stenner MAE photo 3.jpg

Well thats about it for now, if you want to see the full process up until now for the Stenner ABM table saw feel free to drop over to the Australian forum: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f163/sten ... on-157563/ and to see some info on my Stenner MAE Spindle Moulder you can go to here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f163/sten ... er-162506/ and lastly for some info on my Wadkin EQ you can go here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f163/wadk ... es-163964/

If anyone has any information to share regarding the history of Stenners of Teverton, or about any of these 2 machines, or has another old Stenner I would love to hear about it (I have not found too much information about these items, certainly nothing like what you can get for Wadkin).

Cheers,

Camo

Attachments

• add sliding table 1.jpg
    add sliding table 1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 46
  • painted 3.jpg
    painted 3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 46
  • what were these for.jpg
    what were these for.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Stenner MAE.jpg
    Stenner MAE.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Stenner MAE catalogue image.jpg
    Stenner MAE catalogue image.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Stenner MAE photo 2.jpg
    Stenner MAE photo 2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Stenner MAE photo 3.jpg
    Stenner MAE photo 3.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 46
Hi Camo, are you planning on doing the spindle moulder in similar livary to the saw. If so may the force be with you :lol:
Mark

Hanser,

Thanks for your comment.

Mark,

I will be tackling the Wadkin EQ first (it is the 4 speed version, so more versatile). To be honest, I am not certain what to do with it (even I can't justify having 2 spindle moulders, but I wasn't going to stand by and see it go to the scrap yard).

Not sure if you saw the scroll saw I cleaned up (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f163/my-n ... aw-154932/), below are some photos, do the colours remind you of anything :) ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am wondering if others might be confused by your "force be with you" comment? :lol:

Cheers,

Camo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 31