Restoration and upgrade of an old Mini Mill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly off topic from the original restoration, but it's the first use "in anger" of the mill + DRO...

I needed to make a screw for an early Stanley Bedrock 604 1/2 I've been restoring. The screw was turned on the lathe, and mounted in a rod with a tapped hole. The mill came with a selection of slitting saws, but no arbor, so I knocked one up on the lathe and found the blade best suited for the screw head slot.

The DRO made it really easy to touch off on the sides of the screw head to set the centre height, and get the slot depth just right:

86.jpg

Nothing particularly special, but it's the first screw I've made from scratch:

87.jpg

And it even fits:

88.jpg

89.jpg

And it even fits:

My better half often mutters under her breath something about me having a screw loose, any chance you could make another one that fits and pop it in the post :LOL:

And it even fits:

My better half often mutters under her breath something about me having a screw loose, any chance you could make another one that fits and pop it in the post :LOL:
Ah, but do you need a left-handed 3.65/8" Whitworth screw in 47.2TPI... or an M8?

Back