Restoration advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorrisWoodman12

Established Member
Reaction score
My daughter-out-law has asked - since I do woodwork and must know everything about woodworking in general - how to restore this old writing slope. I've not done any restoration work so thought I would ask those of you who are generous with your advice.

IMG-20210220-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20210220-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20210220-WA0002.jpg

She wants to use it at the LARP ( live action role-playing ) events she attends (COVID allowing of course). So the main questions are:
where can she obtain a replacement hinge?
Since it will be used outdoors some of the time what is the best way to clean and protect the wood? (She is pretty clued up about the leather). Is it best to sand it down and then varnish it or use an oil of some sort.
Thank you everyone.
Martin

Looks a classy piece. I'd take it to a restorer or antique dealer for advice and not touch it yourself at all, least of all with sand paper!

Last edited:
Hinge fittings can be found quite easily online

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewelry-Ac...cphy=9046884&hvtargid=pla-1020170498804&psc=1
or

https://www.nichelocks.com/Cabinet-...H2DaV1BlwfILHOjIpxmXgaAk75EALw_wcB#googlebase
The crack clean out with soft toothbrush and if needed a little IPA. Then some hide glue and clamp to close. the big Q is why did it split, that you will need to work out and rectify. The finish is likely shellac so give a gentle clean with non oil soap mild dettergent and a slightly damp lint free cloth at a teppid temp and clean using strokes in the same direction. wipe off If the finish is crackley then use a good brush and some IPA or denatured alcohol brush in even strokes. the finish will soften (melt0 and smooth out

hth

Don`t sand it.
Do what Droogs said.
Less is more as they say, try to do the minimum required to fix it and keep it going for the future without getting drastic.

Ollie

Thank you for your replies with suggestions. As always you're a knowledgeable bunch and I'm grateful that you will share that knowledge.
Martin

There’s lots of YouTube videos on restoration, many are useful, but some are toss and to be avoided

Back