Respirators

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
What kind of face mask do you folks use?

I have just ordered this Face mask and was wondering if it may be overkill?

Garno":1u3shdpb said:
I don't like wearing safety glasses over my normal specs :oops:

You can't wear a mask like that with glasses anyway. The mask won't seal around the frame of your glass and you'll be breathing the junk you are trying to avoid. Besides they would bend you glasses or the arms and wreck them. Unless you wear contact lenses or are willing to get the special clip in frames for your prescription, if they can be had for that mask, you are SOL. 3M 6000 series masks at 3 to 4 times the price have the accessory clip in frames as a pricy extra. I use the 3M 6000 series full face and contacts. I wouldn't trust my lungs to a cheap offshore uncertified mask.

Pete

I've found my Elipse P3 to be excellent, doesn't fog up glasses like paper masks and far better at keeping the dust out.

You are gonna get carploads of choclates wearing that thing tonight, what's the rest of the trick or treat costume like?

These (Uvex Super OTG Overglasses - Glasses Protection Goggles - Anti-Fog - Scratch and Chemical Resistant https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003Y3TZ6K/ ... UDbGD8NCND) anti-fog anti-scratch goggles go over my glasses. They're easy to put on, very comfy and, best of all, they do not fog up. A trend airace does respirator duty and seals up no bother with glasses.

Trainee neophyte":15hkiksu said:
Garno":15hkiksu said:
What kind of face mask do you folks use?

Looks good - half the price of all the others. Is there a reason for that?

I have seen a few vendors do this on amazon. They keep a product low priced until they get a decent number of customers and get a ton of good feedback then put the price up. It's what I hope is the reason anyway :?

I cannot see any reference to mandatory safety standards for this product.
My assumption therefore is Amazon is breaking the European regulations in promoting the product.

lurker":21e9rhag said:
I cannot see any reference to mandatory safety standards for this product.
My assumption therefore is Amazon is breaking the European regulations in promoting the product.
How can you possibly say that? It states quite clearly:

• This mask is completely equivalent to 6800 comprehensive protection function, can used filter cotton, high quality products low prices, very popular!

What more does a man (or woman) need?

Like you Jim, I suspect it doesn't meet any requirements at all. Probably OK for nuisance dust but I wouldn't want to trust it for anything else.

wouldn't it be a case of regardless of the filters that come with it, as long as it seals around your face and you have the nounce to put decent filters on if you do not trust what comes with it, then it will be fine

Garno":2fg8t1j8 said:
……...

Do you intend to use this with any wood lathe you may purchase?

If so does the Visor have an adequate Impact Rating, a very real requirement for wood lathe work.
A visor that is liable to collapse or shatter when struck by a rogue lump of wood could well be more of a reliability than a benefit.

Thanks for all of your replies I have put in a cancelation request as I don't think it adequate. The search continues :D

Garno is it specifically for turning? Think you were right to cancel either way. Those full face masks for painting can be hard work to wear and use. Rubber gets hot and filters make breathing snug and.... sweaty.

I know the full masks are expensive and i have no interest in turning but if I did I think I'd consider it a necessary cost to have an air flow mask with full face protection in the same way i wouldnt buy a new stereo and spend all the money on the separates and then buy £15 speakers.
On any budget you have to spread it as wisely as you can. Hard as it is.
Those masks come up occasionally on the sale section. Maybe put a post in wanted. Maybe someone has one sitting on a shelf. Never know.
Cheers
Chris

Back