Resin suppliers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyefxr

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a supplier near me, GU466BY.
I see Hobbycraft does some Davids Fastglas Resin 1L | Halfords UK

But not sure if it's good for woodworking projects.
As you can tell i am very new at this :). Have looked on Youtube but what i see they is a bit advanced for me as yet though would like to get there.
I have a vac pump and container but now need some resin. Plan on infusing a nice pen wood blank i have, then move on to turning.
I have a half turned bowl that developed cracks thought of making the cracks bigger and using resin and colour on it, but thats later.
Cheers

I use Clear Cast resin from Ebay I use the cheapest at the time and never had an issue

Attachments

• LARGE.jpg
    LARGE.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 24
Davids have been making products for the auto body industry for years, I use P38 filler on wood and it is great because it dries fast and can be sanded shortly afterwards and also there P40 is a resin/matting product that can be used to bridge holes and again a great product.

I cannot see any reasons why you could not use this resin, maybe use a little less hardner because it does produce heat during the curing process.

If you need larger quantities then look for boat builders and they will also do coloured gel coats if you want some color.

It can be messy so have some acetone around as it will get it off where you dont want it, nail polish remover is essentially the same.

Other suppliers

https://www.toolstation.com/big-boy...Vg-_tCh2WxAmXEAAYAyAAEgKAKPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Resin{fthHeGAdw39D}&ad_campaign=8422390004&ad_placement=&ad_group=84233493805&ad_device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsfqrq6jF9QIVg-_tCh2WxAmXEAAYAiAAEgI6qvD_BwE

and something from the world of crafting

https://mouldcraft.co.uk/product/ge...rdener-syringe-kit-for-fibreglass-moulds-etc/

I've used Halfords fastglass fibreglass and resin for years on cosplay armour, the 2 things to be careful of as mentioned above, being a polyester rresin it will generate a lot of heat, enough to burn you if you're not careful, the more you pour the more heat will be generated, I once mixed too much and it actually melted the cup and almost set fire to the worktop just from the heat, 2ndly it can produce some unpleasant fumes so make sure its in a well ventilated area.
It also sets very quickly, the more hardener you use the quicker it will set but if you go by the instructions you will can expect about 2 to 3 minutes of working time. I have use the resin to fill small holes and cracks (mainly around knots) it cuts like any other resin but does get soft from heat when sanding.

You need a heat set resin for the wood stabilisation you describe and an EPOXY resin to fill gaps in your wood for turning. For a small fill, any decent epoxy resin will work, I use Pacer Zap, which is available in different set times. There are many options for colouring resin. You might try mica powder to start, it looks good and it’s difficult to get wrong.

I’ve done quite a bit of resin work and have answered this question in a lot more detail previously, you might find that through the site search.

Great links many thanks will be looking at them all.
I want to try and force resin into the wood so it (hopefully) will then have a hard shine to it.

Great links many thanks will be looking at them all.
I want to try and force resin into the wood so it (hopefully) will then have a hard shine to it.
I think you may have problems with this even using a vacuum pump and or pressure pot as the resin is difficult to get into the fine pores of close grained wood. Have you thought about the tried and tested Cactus Juice?

As gog64 said, epoxy is the one to look for. Poly resin shrinks back a lot more than epoxy and it is far more brittle, so doesnt machine as well as epoxy, it tends to shell.... and if you belt sand it, it clogs up the paper and partially melts ( i tried it )

This is a big subject & there are different types of resins depending on what you want to do. From the original post it sounds like you want to stabilise a wood blank using a vacuum pump & degassing chamber. If that is the case then you would need something like Cactus Juice in order to do that, I don't know of an alternative but there probably will be one.

A B L Stevens, Google them. Massively helpful company, huge product range and range of sizes. They have been going for years and they have helped pals with bar tops, art stuff (pouring to create glass style varnishes) and furniture.

Back