Research Project on English Vice Manufacturers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi people.
I'm researching English vice manufacturers history and want anything you guys may have on the following (if you can help).

Catalogues/Pricelists/brochures of:-
  • Parkinson J W Parkinson and Son (Shipley) Limited
  • Samsonia (Brand from Parkinson)
  • Woden of Wolverhampton
  • Record (C. & J. Hampton) of Sheffield
  • Fortis Engineering (Coventry)
  • Ajax (Alfred Herbert Branded from Fortis)
  • Paramo (F Parramore & Sons Ltd of Rotherham)
  • Rededa (Charles Neil & Co.) of Sheffield
  • Alfred Herbert. Seem to sell many makes
I'm particularly interested in any old catalogues of their products/production.
Some of these appear in other catalogues eg. Alfred Herbert show Fortis, Ajax (a brand seemingly made by Fortis for Herberts - but please correct me...), Woden and also Record.

Some research suggests Parramore took over the Record production after the bombing of the Record Sheffield site in 1940.
Another account suggests that Parramore production of “Record” was actually more of a transition - “They began making castings for Record vices, and as a consequence were tasked with making entire vices after the Record factory in Sheffield was bombed during WW II.” Anyone with more definitive info? Referenced? paramo vices are spitting images of Record.. even the logos are almost identical.

Rededa - I have almost nothing on them. Anything would help.

Thanks so much
Steve

There is a Parkinson's catalogue here

Kicking about somewhere I have a Woden catalogue (early 1950s with a letter announcing the commencement of plane production), a Rededa catalogue (late 1950s?) and a couple of late period (early 1960s) W. Marples catalogues - not on your list, but they also made/sold woodworking vices until being subsumed by Record-Ridgeway. I think you might also want to take a look at Alex. Mathieson as I believe they also made some woodworking vices, although I'm not 100% on that.

You may also come across Wadkin vices and cramps which were made in the 1920s and 30s and were sometimes bright red. Most of them were made by Rededa (they often carry the Rededa registered design numbers cast in the front), although Wadkin also sold an Emmert-pattern vice which may have been made for them by Oliver Machinery. I don't know if that was Oliver in the USA or the Manchester branch, which seems to have split-off from the parent firm before WWII

Edward Preston in Birmingham was another firm that made cramps, so possibly also woodworking vices as well. There is a 1909 catalogue reprint that can confirm this

Edit: Search this site - there are some recent references to both the Zyto vices (C W Tyzack in London) and some older refererences to Oliver/Wadkin Emmert style vices further back in the archives that someone rebuilt.

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll have seen this website on Parky's???

https://www.northlincsweb.net/ParkinsonsShipley/html/vises.html
Any local info you need I can hunt around Shipley..

Cheers James

Hi James, Thanks so much for your comment, and yes I have seen that site and it has really helped already. Nothing at the moment around Shipley, unless the local council have their own "archives" with anything. Not checked.
Thanks again for your response.
Steve

There is a Parkinson's catalogue here

Kicking about somewhere I have a Woden catalogue (early 1950s with a letter announcing the commencement of plane production), a Rededa catalogue (late 1950s?) and a couple of late period (early 1960s) W. Marples catalogues - not on your list, but they also made/sold woodworking vices until being subsumed by Record-Ridgeway. I think you might also want to take a look at Alex. Mathieson as I believe they also made some woodworking vices, although I'm not 100% on that.

You may also come across Wadkin vices and cramps which were made in the 1920s and 30s and were sometimes bright red. Most of them were made by Rededa (they often carry the Rededa registered design numbers cast in the front), although Wadkin also sold an Emmert-pattern vice which may have been made for them by Oliver Machinery. I don't know if that was Oliver in the USA or the Manchester branch, which seems to have split-off from the parent firm before WWII

Edward Preston in Birmingham was another firm that made cramps, so possibly also woodworking vices as well. There is a 1909 catalogue reprint that can confirm this

Edit: Search this site - there are some recent references to both the Zyto vices (C W Tyzack in London) and some older refererences to Oliver/Wadkin Emmert style vices further back in the archives that someone rebuilt.

Hi,
Thanks for your fast and detailed response.

I should have clarified my original post a bit more - so here goes.
I'm researching metal bench vices for mostly metal use - not really the woodworking ones... as yet.
And not any drill or mill vices.

I already have the Parky download catalogue you noted - but thanks for that.

I have a Woden Tools catalogue No 57 (dated 1957). See photo of front page Woden 1 attached.
I also have a price list for them (photo 2) but no date... all in £ s d currency so pre-decimalisation.
If your Woden catalogue is different I would love a pdf copy but not sure how - scanning is a slow process.
Same goes for Rededa - I have almost nothing on them so a catalogue would be fantastic.

Thanks again for your time and reply.
br
Steve

Attachments

• Woden 1.JPG
    Woden 1.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Woden 2.JPG
    Woden 2.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 9
That will make an interesting read when ur further on with the study.....
yes boring for some......
I was thinking of building a collection of oil cans and hammers.....hahaha...ONLY kidding....

Hi people.
I'm researching English vice manufacturers history and want anything you guys may have on the following (if you can help).

Catalogues/Pricelists/brochures of:-
  • Parkinson J W Parkinson and Son (Shipley) Limited
  • Samsonia (Brand from Parkinson)
  • Woden of Wolverhampton
  • Record (C. & J. Hampton) of Sheffield
  • Fortis Engineering (Coventry)
  • Ajax (Alfred Herbert Branded from Fortis)
  • Paramo (F Parramore & Sons Ltd of Rotherham)
  • Rededa (Charles Neil & Co.) of Sheffield
  • Alfred Herbert. Seem to sell many makes
I'm particularly interested in any old catalogues of their products/production.
Some of these appear in other catalogues eg. Alfred Herbert show Fortis, Ajax (a brand seemingly made by Fortis for Herberts - but please correct me...), Woden and also Record.

Some research suggests Parramore took over the Record production after the bombing of the Record Sheffield site in 1940.
Another account suggests that Parramore production of “Record” was actually more of a transition - “They began making castings for Record vices, and as a consequence were tasked with making entire vices after the Record factory in Sheffield was bombed during WW II.” Anyone with more definitive info? Referenced? paramo vices are spitting images of Record.. even the logos are almost identical.

Rededa - I have almost nothing on them. Anything would help.

Thanks so much
Steve
Hi Steve
I have an engineering swivel vice made by Cummins no 4. Do you have information about the company who I believe operated in nineteenth century and may have been replaced by Record?
Carol

Hi Carol, Sorry but no that's a new name for vice for me. Cummins as you know is a major engine manufacturer but that's all I know about them. It is possible that Cummins bought in and resold another vices too.
Record was established family-wise out of the Woden founder family called "Hampton".

thank you Steve. I bought it from a scrapyard, which sold surplus military tools, in 1975

Attachments

• IMG_0631.MOV
    28.1 MB
Paramo was actually based in Chapeltown which is in sheffield not rotherham I worked there for a bit in the late 80s before working at rabone chesterman and then stanley after they bought out rabone

Paramo was actually based in Chapeltown which is in sheffield not rotherham I worked there for a bit in the late 80s before working at rabone chesterman and then stanley after they bought out rabone
Hi Rob, Apologies to all. Yes you are absolutely correct. They were based at Chapeltown, Sheffield ...my daft typo!!!! I have a page or two of history on Parramore and it all shows Sheffield!
Acccording to research I made a while back from Sheffield Indexers and others.

"F Parramore & Sons (Ironfounders & Rain Goods manufacturers) was resident at Greenside, Chapeltown in 1905 and was later in Smith Street, Chapeltown, Sheffield and then Caledonia Works, Chapeltown after registering the company in 1924".

Below is cited from Sheffield Archives... see link at bottom

F. Parramore and Sons Limited, was founded in 1904​
Paramore, F. & Sons (Ironfounders & rain goods manufacturers) of Greenside Chapeltown, in 1905 and reconstituted in 1911 as a limited liability company and reconstituted again in 1924 as F. Parramore and Sons (1924) Limited. In 1924 - 1925, a large interest was acquired in the company by Baxendale and Company Limited, of Miller Street, Manchester represented by Messrs Ernest and Paul Darrah, having bought 10,000 ordinary (£1) shares. The management of the company was kept within the family. They were the maker of 'Paramo' tools. Paramo Tools set up in 1981 at premises on Rockingham Street. The foundry went into receivership just weeks later. These records were deposited by the Receiver for the company in May 1981.
The family:​

Fred Parramore (married to Mary Ann) (born 1856; died 1934, aged 77).
George Frederick Parramore (first son of Fred).
Ernest Parramore (second son of Fred) (died 1961, aged 71), Chairman of the company from 1924 - 1961 and joint Managing Director.
Edward Parramore (third son of Fred).
Alfred Parramore (fourth son of Fred) (died 1966, aged 79), joint Managing Director from 1924. Chairman from 1961 - 1966.​
(LD2118; Sheffield Archives, 02/2022).

PS. I think the Sheffield archive have a typo for "Greenside, Chapeltown" which I think is "Grenoside" ...however Grenoside is not actually in Chapeltown but nearby! There is a road called Greenside in Google maps in the Sheffield area but it is full of 1970's bungalows and out near Penistone!

Anyone reading this - I would love a Paramo catalogue - any out there?????????? 8o)

Great project - I hope you know the smallworksop.co.uk section on quick release vices.

Looks like you're concentrating on the makers of cast iron cast/ steel vices; of course, for maybe centuries before that were the wrought iron leg vices and wooden vices before that. For the leg vices, many makers didn't add their name, but you may find named Mousehole (Sheffield area) or Onions or Wright or Lewis (Birmingham area).

For the cast iron, I believe Britain was a few years behind USA, where the patents go back to at least 1860s.
At that time I think the Bradford area was the heartland of our cast body vices with some really solid woodworking vices (un-named) then Woodhead Bradford 1860s, then Wilson Riley, Entwhistle Kenyon (Keighley) with 1870s patents, then Parkinson with 1880s patents (making vices before that).

Then 20thC to Sheff and Brum Coventry. And a few makers dotted around Yorks/NE -- Harrison, Blair.

In Sheff area you'll also find Ward, Sorby, Marples, Dronfield, Sheffield Tool, Rabone, Stanley brands.

Don't forget v innovative Vono (B'ham area).

I looked, but couldn't find, Irish, Welsh or Scottish makers (I'm not convinced Mathieson, that great tool maker, made any), but I did finally find a small maker in Highlands - Rollo -good quality small vices.

As I say -Great project
There'll be plenty of info out there that needs gathering.

Go on, include woodworking -almost always same makers and patents.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Sorry to disappoint but I am only researching engineers vices in cast iron/cast steel. Research has stalled a bit due to other commitments.
I'm also trying to work on refurbishing some 34 vices I have in my workshop.

My favourite to be completed is a Record 12 from their "Leader series" made from rolled steel plate - a really unusual vice with quick release too and 4 1/2" jaws. It is so nice as it is I might just sell it unrefurbished. It does need a good degrease and clean though. It still has the metal nameplate riveted to the body. The hot rolled steel plates are all welded together. See some photos attached for anyones interest.

Attachments

• IMG_7772.jpg
    IMG_7772.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7773.jpg
    IMG_7773.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7775.jpg
    IMG_7775.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7776.jpg
    IMG_7776.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 14
My understanding is that Churchill visited a pattern shop and asked about what was needed. I believe it was rolls Royce.when he realized how important pattern making was he looked into the vaunability of record and lack of alternates, he decided that paramo needs to make vises based on records patterns. After the war paramo made slight improvements and continued making vises. I found a brand new paramo in a family hardware store that must have been there for decades. Looks like a record but better built and more accurate.

New guy, here from Ontario, Canada. I joined the group looking for information on Fabrex Tools Ltd. Approx. 1959 they were bought out by Record and became Record Fabrex Tools. I am looking for catalog pages of their vises and when they were originally created. I read that they were spun out of a fabric company who go into DIY tools. I have a Fabrex vises (vices) here in Canada that look like this: 3", 3.5", 4" and 5" jaw width version all using the design. Can you help me with that? I have tons of catalog pages on Record, Woden, Parkinson, some FPU/Bison, Dawn, some Fortis, some Marples, some Paramo, some Rededa, some Swindens. Here is a picture of the vice design in question. Can you help me out?
Thanks,
Dave,

Attachments

• 20230414_122107_resized.jpg
    20230414_122107_resized.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230414_122135_resized.jpg
    20230414_122135_resized.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230414_122158_resized.jpg
    20230414_122158_resized.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 0