Rescuing a CD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas as to how to rescue a CD that has a split from the middle straight across to edge?

I've put tape on the label side and cleaned the surface but that hasn't helped. I can only read 40k of 40+MB :(

Hi,

You are lucky it didn't explode, I have had a drive that was wrecked by an exploding cd.

Pete

I had a game disc explode and ruin a drive. I also have another with a crack radiating from the hole. It doesn't work of course, and neither could I get the drive to read it so I could make copy. Shame. It was a fairly absorbing game. Still, I can buy a used copy easily enough.

I think once there is a crack in a disc it's time to dump it. Cheaper than buying a new drive. Relatively, these drives may be 'cheap as chips' but a used copy of the disc will probably be 'cheaper than chips'.

:wink:

You can get rescue covers which are a thin plastic sheet which goes over the data side of the disc. I have had some success with them but never tried it on a completely split CD.

john

If the cd has music on it I can say that I once had a cd that was really badly scrapped and no cd player could play it so I had a go at putting the cd in the PC and ripped the music to mp3. Worked a treat and the songs werent missing any bits.

Michael

That's a good idea DW. :)

If anyone has a copy they no longer want, or that I can borrow to replace my copy then please let me know:

Star Trek New Frontier, The CD-ROM Library. The label picture of an anvil with a sword stuck in it.

cambournepete":pq7o9vrt said:
That's a good idea DW. :)

If anyone has a copy they no longer want, or that I can borrow to replace my copy then please let me know:

Star Trek New Frontier, The CD-ROM Library. The label picture of an anvil with a sword stuck in it.

Cannot help you myself on that one but a little bit here on utube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boi2lTXPrdw

Latest posts

Back