resawing......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
hi,
i have some reclaimed mahogany
-about 3" thick
-7" wide

and i wanted to resaw them...but looking at the price of some decent bandsaws that could handle them but they are all rather pricey to say the least!

so is there ANY other way to resaw them?? i cant imagine there is but its worth a shot!

sorry for the question Alf :p :wink: :lol:

Tom

ps. i had a 3 1/2" wide board and managed to do that on my T/S in 2 passes!! :?

Have you got a decent timber merchant?
Mine has a workshop at the back (including a resaw) who will machine timber to size.
It may be worth asking if they could saw your mahogany for a price.
They can only say "No"
I have had things sawn a few times that I didn't buy from the shop.
I used to make quite a bit from teak conti-board.
Homebase no longer sold it so I would buy it elsewhere & take it to Homebase to cut to size on their panel saw.
25p a cut was the charge.
Anythings worth a try if you haven't got the correct tool for the job.

My Charnwood 720 bandsaw will cut to about 6 1/2 inches at a pinch with some fiddling about. With the dure edge blades I recently ripped some large Oak posts down in no time.

As an ex-demo machine it cost about £160 I think (2 yrs ago)

Hey Chris! You pinched my neander killer blow there. :( I have made one, and it, er, can be done. Depends how much waste you can afford to lose and how fit you are (losing a different sort of waist. :wink: ). After all, it was the only way for many hundreds of years, and the results weren't too bad. (see Chippendale etc for examples...)

You might find getting someone else to risk their blade a problem with reclaimed timber. Any nail holes or similar will have them running away in a hurry - unless their blade has almost had it, in which case they might hope it did hit a nail so they could sting you for the price of a new one. :(

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

I should have guessed you would have one :wink: !

However, you also have a bandsaw - maybe two - unless you sold the Elu so I guess that as you say, it rather depends how on how seriously one takes one's exercise, whether or not this is likely to appeal.

I have occasionally thought about it in the odd mad moment when I wanted to resaw something thicker than my Kity bandsaw can manage but found that if I waited a little while the feeling passed and I found something else to do!

Thomas,
I have a Record Select RSBS14 bandsaw, and it would suit your needs really well. 8 inch depth of cut, 14 inch throat, roller guides, cast iron table and a nice powerful motor. At the Yandles show recently I saw them on offer at £259-a real bargain! :shock: My rips through anything I chuck at it- resawa hard maple no problem.
I don't know if you can get one at that price, but it really is a great saw for the money.
regards,
Philly :D

Philly":33ufj8fl said:
Thomas,
I have a Record Select RSBS14 bandsaw

thanks for the tip
sounds exactly what i need... its within my budget (well nearly :p ) and ive had a look on a website and i have to say it looks like a good bit of kit!

unfortionatly i have only been able to find it at £379 but if i shop about im sure ill find it for cheaper

thanks for all the suggestions!
oh and i dont fancy cutting them by hand :?
and of course it doesnt plug in so it must be rubish :p :p :wink:

Tom

In Chris's early post on this thread, the guy was "resawing a piece of 6/4 maple".
Can anyone explain this please?
Regards, John

This is USA terminology.

The 4 refers to a nominal quarter inch so 6/4 is 6 quarters of an inch - ie one and a half inches. However, the nominal bit refers to the size of sawn wood before machining by the woodyard so 6/4 will be more like one and a quarter inches. There are various specs for this that describe it more accurately but it is not every yard that respects the standards anyway.

waterhead37":1iaibi6h said:
Alf":1iaibi6h said:
Tsk. The youth of today... :roll: :wink:

Are the ones who will be living with the power cuts when cheap oil runs out! Best they start now to learn how to do without..

Hmm, good point. :? I'd better dig out that frame saw again...

Cheers, Alf

Back