Repro Egg Beater Hand Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spotted this on the Lee Valley website:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-gb/sho...-valley-replica-egg-beater-drill?item=15N1001
It continues Lee Valley's policy of producing copies of classic old tools. Given that I've got a weakness for egg beater drills, I can see this being my Christmas present to me.
I bought it as soon as it was available. It is a wonderful little tool. I have seen the original tool on offer from dealers from time to time, but to get one in good condition will cost as much as this perfectly functioning reproduction. Do look closely at the pictures - this is a very small tool designed to drill very small holes. The largest bit it will take is 3/32 inch. The main drive gear (the one with the wooden handle) is only 5.5 cm. (2 1/4 inches) across. It would probably not serve most woodworkers as their only eggbeater drill.

I have a Millars Falls No3 50p from a carboot.
The gears have prime numbers of teeth so the same teeth only mesh every 1086 revolutions.

Pete

Did all Millers Falls drills have similar tooth arrangements? It seems like an excellent way of prolonging the life of them.

I got a MF No 5 (the smaller relative of the No 2) for €20 from a flea market which wasn't too bad considering the bloke started off wanting €50 for it. What he didn't know was that the top of the handle screwed off and there was a set of seven bits inside it. Neither did I know that when I bought it so I was very pleased indeed.

What I would like Lee Valley, or indeed any other manufacturer, to do would be to make a repro of the MF No 2, with the same degree of solidity but with a key-locked chuck as is the case with some of the old Footprint drills. I'd be prepared to pay to pay more than flea market prices for that.

Back