replicating lemon skin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shay Vings

Established Member
Reaction score
Made a few apples and pears with no problems. Now trying a lemon but struggling to get the skin (orange peel) effect.
Close inspection of a real lemon reveals v.small circular indentations surrounded by irregular scaly patches.

I don't have a Sorby texturing tool so I tried filing some teeth on a 1 inch dia washer running on a 8mm bolt. Its not a million miles away but the tooth indents are a bit square and it doesn't make the bigger scaly bits.

Any ideas?

Dremel burrs should do the job. The two attached have a pretty close approximation to lemon peel I reckon. The bowl was done with a 1 mm burr and the vase with a 3mm burr. The vase was intended to look like the surface of an omelette I was cooking!!!

How you would do the really small dots I'm not sure, it would take ages. I reckon just the main pattern is close enough.

Do you have a rotary tool??

Attachments

• 100_2289.jpg
    100_2289.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 697
  • 100_2743.jpg
    100_2743.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 697
Hi Gus

I have a cheapo dremel knock off which I could try. Looks a bit laborious to do one at a time rather than offer up some wizz wheel, but I'll give it a go.

Shay Vings":2qwrp5qh said:
Hi Gus

I have a cheapo dremel knock off which I could try. Looks a bit laborious to do one at a time rather than offer up some wizz wheel, but I'll give it a go.

Aha, yup, it might take a while but then lemons aren't that big are they??

I have a high speed air tool that spins at about 40,000rpm. Just a touch is all it takes so its pretty quick. Damn noisy though so I need ear defenders, your Dremel sub shouldn't be too bad.

A Proxxon long neck mini grinder will produce a good approximation of citrus skin, in double quick time, but you'd need to be producing a lot of lemons to justify its cost for that alone - but it does have plenty of other uses.

Ian

Back