Replacment Loft Entry Hatch.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollys13

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking along the lines, intending to use plywood, using a batten border around inside of hatch and contriving, a method of fixing the plywood in position to batten, allowing hatch to be easily removed.
Or forget the batten and fix keku clips directly into inside frame of hatch?
Any suggestions, advice welcome.
Thanks

Attachments

• Loft (Small).JPG
    Loft (Small).JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 181
If your insulation is at loft level (rather than between the rafters), then you'll need to insulate the hatch. This might make a down-hinging hatch a bit awkward.

I'd run a bit of batten or doorstop all the way around the hatch opening, then I'd use something like dry glaze tape on top of the batten to create a seal so that when the hatch is sitting on the battens it is sealed from any draught that may be present in the loft. The hatch then is just loosely sat in place and can be pushed up out of the way when it's needed to open, rather than fixing it in place with screws or otherwise.

Doug71":2cu3y59h said:
Hinge it so it so it hangs down and you don't need to remove it. Use a loft hatch latch to hold it up.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hardware-sol ... lsrc=aw.ds

Just looked at photo again and looks like it was already hinged with a loft latch so guess you are looking to change that.

It just sounds like hard work (or a comedy sketch) getting out a step ladder to open the loft hatch and then moving the ladder so you can pull down the loft ladder, putting the loft ladder back up when you have finished then getting the other ladder again to put the loft hatch back in #-o

I made ours as suggested above, hung on two hinges at one end with a push catch at the other end, which it appears the OP had. Just push the end up with a walking stick to unlatch and lower, then hook the end of the ladder and pull down, easy enough to slide it up again and close the hatch, again with the walking stick. No steps needed.

I fitted a UPVC hatch several years ago.. No need to paint it anymore, It's insulated, easy to fit and light as a feather compared to the original one. I paid under £40 for mine.

Gerry

But where is the fun in that.... I recently jointed up a load of oak skirting excess for my brother in law’s house. Must be the heaviest hatch out there! Fixed on hinges and push catch but it still worries me that it’ll swing down one day and knock someone out clean!

I’d not worry too much about insulating such a small gap in the insulation (especially if you have water tanks in the loft space) but, if it bothers you make a timber frame, skin it with ply and use some thin board celotex or similar inside.

Back