Replacing the handle on wood turning tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alie Barnes

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new wood turning chisel or two as the old ones are very short now and rather than buy them with handles i was thinking of getting just the chisel and taking out the old worn out chisel and mounting the new one in the old handle, however they are secured with a brass ring with a puncture point on it, i don't know how to go about removing the old tool and mounting the new one, can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

You can just carefully prise them off Alie, flatten the punch mark from the inside and re punch when fitted.

I never bother as there ore often situations when an old tool is useful, just turn some new handles, quick easy and nice to turn. You can buy new ferrules or use scraps of copper plumbing pipe.

Put the steel upwards in a vice and use a bit of scrap 2" x 1" or something and a mallet or hammer to knock the handle downwards. The ferrule doesn't actually do very much and doesn't need to come off. If the new one is slightly loose put a little epoxy, PU or even PVA around it when pushing it in. It might be worth grinding a bit more of a bevel around the end of the new one to help it in, but it'll probably go in without difficulty.
http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/shop/28-x-b ... -80202044/
are good and as cheap as they get if you have any amount of new handles to do - if you look at these you'll see they already have the indent punched, they are not done in situ.

Youtube has thousands of how to turn a tool handle clips to get ideas from. In fact making a new handle can be less work than refitting an existing handle. If you'r new tool has a smaller tang than the old one for instance then there is a problem fitting that old handle.
Making tool handles is surely one reason to have a lathe in any case.
Regards
John

Back