Replacing spindle pulleys?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanygaer

Reaction score
Finding it difficult to remove a pair of damaged spindle pulleys .
It’s from an old SIP900mm 01360, it’s a generic wood lathe.
Any ideas. I can remove the holding washer and grub screws and pull the first pulley forward but it sticks at the end next to the groove .
Any ideas.
Cheers John.

I don't know what groove you are referring to but quite possibly there is a burr or raised bruise on the shaft which is preventing further movement. Feel the shaft surface carefully with your fingers b- it is surprising how sensitive they are.
Duncan

Could there also be double grub screws fitted, although the burr sounds more likely.

I think you mean the circlip groove. Run your fingers around the groove - that will tell you if there are any sharp or raised edges. A very large light touch with emery cloth may be indicated.
Duncan

It sounds like they are broken badly as that casting is some cheese alloy and it happens on this lathe.
Those reeves drive clutches get stuck and if thats the problem then do not remove!!!
It may only need a bit o PTFE spray and a bit of adjusting the speed, and maybe a bit of a manual turn to get her going.
Sorry if they are broken and you know this, just giving a warning if they are not.

All the best, can you report back if this is the case, might need to upgrade the motor on mine someday if it ever goes kaput.
Thanks
Tom

No the back pulley is cracked . I’ve a replacement set.
Managed the first pulley now trying to see why I can’t move the second pulley.
Wet and dry 1500 worked a trick .
Many thanks.
John

Thanks everyone.
First one problem then another, the second pulley appears jammed any ideas the pulley itself is collapsing with every pull I’m not confident in using force , would heating help?

Hello again, I suggest you edit your thread title to be more descriptive.
You might be aware that there is about 10 brands that sell that machine.
SIP, Axminster perform, Draper WTL90, and a bunch of others that don't come to mind.
I had a quick look around using google with ukworkshop, and found this thread
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/perform-ccbl-lathe-pulley.77672/
You will likely will find a better post on it than I will.
I don't frequent the turning section of the forum, but someone will.
Reeves drive might be another keyword to search for
I remember Chas (CHJ) being knowledgeable on these.
That might be another keyword to search for.
Hope this helps somewhat

Good luck with it
Tom

I repaired one of these for a friends father last year. Exactly the same problem. The alloy pulleys overheat and deform making them difficult to change. If I remember rightly I had to use a bearing puller to get the damn thing off. After that, replacement was simple and machine back to full working order. There are several videos on YT showing the process - try this one for starters :-

Just watched the video, he gets there in the end, Reminds me when I did the same with a bright yellow Perform lathe bought it the dark/snowy night from someones garden shed (maybe 20 years ago) he had broken the metal cheese like forked interlocking gear wheels. Bought replacements from Axminster. I cant remember now but if you can push the back pulley as far as it will go you might be able to the key out, the rear pulley will slide forward. A puller might not fit the space
I think dry lubricant was best as grease picks up sawdust and sticks. To me it was a cheap lathe and a few hours of getting spares and fitting

Thanks everyone.
I’m aware it’s generic build and cheesy pulleys .
Just stuck and would rather not destroy it whilst removing the pulley.
A bearing pulley seems sensible.

Well the bearing puller worked a treat everything out and cleaned up. The bearings don’t seem bad I’m soaking over night and will pop some dry PTF spray on them and set up again tomorrow. Popped it all together earlier and it runs really quietly, and has picked up speed.
Cannot wait to put myself in danger. So sub 1000 it goes down and above airborne!!
I’ve been a spoon carver for a good few years and have built and use a pole lathe , so I’ll have to re learn how to cut and scrape all over again.
Thanks again for the supplying the confidence and wisdom to try.
John.

I need to remove the same pulleys from my Perform CCBL lathe. What type of bearing puller do I need -- there seem to be lots of types - all they all suitable for this task?

I need to remove the same pulleys from my Perform CCBL lathe. What type of bearing puller do I need -- there seem to be lots of types - all they all suitable for this task?
Suggest fingers only unless pulleys are already broken, the cheap diecast alloy is too fragile to stand any reasonable small contact area mechanical pull on the edges.

I used a cheap three point puller and attached to the cast iron behind the pulley,
The pulley was shattered and could be broken by finger pressure . So I had few options.
I used the silverline gear puller 150mm. Part of a cheap set of three.
I sprayed with GT85 for left for 24hrs. Then it was quite easy. The spindle not marked though it was brushed.
Good luck.

Suggest fingers only unless pulleys are already broken, the cheap diecast alloy is too fragile to stand any reasonable small contact area mechanical pull on the edges.
Yes sorry I forgot to mention the pulleys I removed had pretty much disintegrated. They can be very fragile. Ok if you are replacing with new.

Latest posts

Back