Replacing conveyor belt Performax 22-44 drum sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
Replacing conveyor belt Performax 22-44 drum sander

Back in February I bought a drum sander from a forum member, who had actually never used it, but had it in stored for a long time,

How-ever as he stored it , the conveyor belt was left under tension, this caused some very heavy rippling, and also delamination of the paper from the rubber belt.

I have heard / read that this has happened to other people

So I bought a new conveyor belt and fitted it last night

Any tips on getting the tracking spot on

Here the new belt

Untitled by mcluma, on Flickr

And here the old one – you can clearly see the rippling and delamination

Chris
I have the Jet version and managed to tear the belt because it was not properly tensioned. Given the high cost of these belts I was very careful to get the tensioning right on the replacement!

My machine has captive nuts on threads either side of the belt that regulate the tension, I backed these fully off and then retightened them an equal amount on each side until the belt moved smoothly, when driven by the rollers.

I then increased the tension gradually on both sides by the same amount, testing with sanding a small piece of wood until I was satisified that the belt fed properly and tracked evenly, which it did. Although time consuming to set up, it has worked fine since even when I have sanded heavy boards .

Hope this helps.
Simon

I have one of the old Performax 22x44 radial arm saw conversion sanders that I later bought the three footed stand and belt feed for. My buddy has the same thing. I nor my buddy could ever get the sandpaper belt to track properly. 🤬 It would always slowly drift one way or the other and need to be readjusted. Then the bloody thing would slowly track off in the other direction. 🤬🤬🤬 When I moved here 5 years ago it fell over while being loaded into the shipping container, bending the roller tension mechanisms. Once settled I recommissioned the sander by straightening the mechanism and before putting the belt back on realized both the rubber drive roller and the steel idler with the adjusters were a constant diameter. I decided to "crown" the steel roller like my belt sander (one drum straight and one crowned) by wrapping it with some 2"/50mm wide metal foil tape as an experiment to see if it would fix it. So I put a few wraps around the middle and half as many wraps at the quarter point on either side. Now the conveyer, sanding belt, tracks perfectly. My buddy did the same and now his works properly too. Try "crowning" the belt roller on yours and see if it tracks like it should.

Pete

I don't really want to go take the belt off but will if I must. What about a felt pen sketch on a sheet of cardboard?

Oh just realized this is quite an old thread. :)

Pete

I think I get what crowning is, pen sketch would be good.

Using my 22-44 today and forgotten what a PITA the belt moving is. I was looking for new guides as my guides no longer have any magnetism left in them. Also thinking about the Axminster rubber belt and an option.

My belt has some cracking starting along the seam so I pulled it. Now I remember why I don't like to do that often. Found the guides and the magnets are just the rubber ones like they use in card size fridge magnets given away as advertising stuff. It is available with a sticky back on them and you cut to length as needed. They only have to hold until the belt is in place. https://www.amazon.ca/Flexible-Magn...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I took a picture of the roller and the tape. My memory was off a little and I used 1"/25mm wide tape that is 0.013"/0.33mm thick. Width shouldn't matter a lot. There are two wraps in the middle and 1 of each of the other two. That roller is .750"/19mm diameter. I think the later ones were bigger. If getting the Axminster rubber belt verify the length. Mine needs to be close to 61"/1500mm so the rubber one is too short by about 20%.

IMG_4894.jpg

Pete

Thanks, I get it now

I assume that metal tape is a self-adhesive type?

Two turns in the middle and 1 turn on either side.

I am waiting on Axminster to confirm their returns policy if the rubber belt does not work, It hasn't had good reviews. I have a very old 16-32 with a plastic-type belt and that has given me no trouble.

Regards

John

Yes the metal foil tape used to seal HVAC (heating ventilation air conditioning) ducting and sometimes in auto body repair work etc. It comes with adhesive on it like any tape and some have a slick paper that you peel off to use. Once on it stays on. Used to use it on the belly of the firebombing aircraft to keep the retardant from getting inside the aircraft through holes, access panel doors and it stayed on for an entire summer of flying and washing with firehoses when the plane came back.

If I really wanted to do it right I would make a new roller with the crown built in but the tape works well enough so that's not going to happen.

If the plastic belt isn't giving you any problems why change it? Or is it worn out? Even if the belt was the right length the cost of it in hand is 50% to 100% more than the replacement sanding cloth belt they came with.

Pete

Hi Pete

The plastic belt is in my other drum sander. I bought a new belt for the 22-44 and immediately made a tear in it, the guides fell off got trapped and ripped the belt. I now have a 16" belt on a 22" sander as I trimmed the torn bit off. It makes the slippage much better to handle as I have a few inches play on either side before it starts to bind. I am ready to buy another belt but determined to get the drift sorted before I do.

On my 16/32 I replaced the original rubber belt with an abrasive type. I can't remember where I bought it but it was much cheaper than a rubber one and it works very well. However I've given up trying to get the tracking right. Next time I use it I'll have a go at Pete's crowning method.
Brian

Hi Pete

I have my tape, I went with 2", have you dispensed with the ceramic guides in the 22-44

Regards

John

Latest posts

Back