Replacing Band Saw Tyres: Do I need adhesive?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PearlyKing

Established Member
Reaction score
I am replacing the rubber tyres on my band saw wheels. I have watched a bunch of YouTube videos on the best way to do this, and half say use adhesive and half don't mention it.

Is there a general opinion on which option is best?
Peter

Either 24hour epoxy for huge machines like 32" cast iron beasts, or rubber and gasket adhesive from the likes of ScottandSargeant.
That's the stuff what some creeker folk (American forum) are fond of, it aint cheap stuff though.

Tom

They say hairspray works for those urethane ones :)

Might be worth trying to dress them if they're still on the wheels...
The side of a plane iron clamped on a block makes an excellent scraper for the job.
(Edit: with the machine unplugged!)
I would try that first, I see many doing it to new tires, but that could be for a number of reasons.

Tom

My 20" Asian import came without adhesive for the black rubber tires. When they needed replacing I bought urethane tires to replace them and didn't use any glue. They were tight and the wheels are grooved for the tire to sit in. I used to have a Makita Bandsaw that had the tires bonded to the wheels.

Pete

theres a cartridge adheisive / sealant using Polyurethane... Sikkens make like most others.....always buy Sikkens where poss...........
it goes on like silicone but not as messy..I use it a lot now.....I'd fold the tyre over once mounted and then a fine beard of the POLY...
just run ur hand over the tyre to smooth it out....u dont need a big bead...

u know how the sole near the toe on ur work boots just seperates........lost count how many pairs I've binned for that reason alone.....
thought I'd try the poly...put plenty in, smeared it around with a lollipop stick and put a little weight on the toe to get it back to shape....
Still stuck on after a year.....

frank horton":3edeoqz2 said:
theres a cartridge adheisive / sealant using Polyurethane... Sikkens make like most others.....always buy Sikkens where poss...........
it goes on like silicone but not as messy..I use it a lot now.....I'd fold the tyre over once mounted and then a fine beard of the POLY...
just run ur hand over the tyre to smooth it out....u dont need a big bead...

u know how the sole near the toe on ur work boots just seperates........lost count how many pairs I've binned for that reason alone.....
thought I'd try the poly...put plenty in, smeared it around with a lollipop stick and put a little weight on the toe to get it back to shape....
Still stuck on after a year.....

I cannot find any adhesives on the Sikkens website. It seems to be all wood coatings and finishes.

Googling, the nearest match is Sika, who do a range of construction adhesives under the name "Sikaflex". Is that what you meant?
Thanks.

If the new tyres are a push fit over the wheel yes. But the supplier. OE or after market should advise.
But that is mainly on the much older machines.

Modern tyres are a stretch fit over and will not need glue.

The tyres are there to give a bit of cushioning as well as grip to the blade.

When I was talking to Axeminster about this they told me on no account use glue on a stretch fit tyre. If it is a bit tight a bit of washing up liquid will do.

Back