Replacing a window in a door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
My back door has a double glazed window in the top half divided into pseudo small panes by two plastic grids, one on the outside and one on the inside. I want to get rid of the grids and just have a straightforward rectangular window. I know how to remove the plastic grids, but can't find where to buy a simple rectangular replacement. Can any one help?

if you mean just get a simple replacement sealed unit any glazing firm can either make one or order one in for you

No, sorry I've not explained very well. It's not the glass I want it's the plastic frame that holds it in place in the door. That's the bit I want to replace but can't find one.

if i understand correctly you want to source replacements "beads" ie the bit that holds the glass in. pics will help

I think some photos might help:
The door has a double glazed unit with a plastic grid on each side to simulate smaller individual panes of glass. The first picture shows the outside still intact.
On the inside I have removed most of the plastic (In truth I didn't realise it was all that was holding the glass in). There is a very wide gap between the glass and the door which had fastenings fixing the internal plastic grid to the external one. The internal grid was already broken so I decided to remove the grids. When I realised how it was all fixed I left a section of the internal plastic to help hold the glass in.
What I want to do is remove both grids and replace them with a similar rectangular border on each side which holds the glass in place but no grid, just the edges. My problem is where can I buy this? I've searched online with no luck but I don't even know the name of what I'm searching for, which doesn't help. The existing plastic frame is 605mm wide x 960mm high
Untitled - 1.jpg
Untitled - 2.jpg
Untitled - 3.jpg

Here they are called door lights and can be bought as non venting (like you have) or as vented (sliding glass with screen) and with built in blinds for light control. We can get them from the Borg stores for do it yourself installs or retrofits and glass shops can get them as well. Where you would buy the frame parts I have no clue. They are likely proprietary to the maker. In your case you may not find any open market product unless a glass shop can get them. It would probably be easier to make them from scratch yourself or get a door light that fits your door and replace what you have. You can always make a cold frame with the old panel. An example with blinds.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/od...in-x-36-in-x-1-in-with-white-frame/1001601839
Pete

Thanks Pete, your link wouldn’t work for me - not that it matters - it would have been a bit far to go! I’m starting to think that I’ll have to make them myself. I’ve got some bits of an old teak bench top that might be OK for it. It’ll give me some practice with a router - not a tool I use very often.

The link was to a glass replacement kit with internal blinds at one of the big chain lumber centres. It was about $300Can. I'm sure you would have similar in your country. The upside to them is they are quick and easy to install. All done in an hour or two at most.

Pete

Your B&Q are equivalent to our various Borg stores. I tried every search term I could think of and got nowhere. Long shot but go to one and walk the door and window aisles and see if they have them. Maybe one of their senior sales staff might know where you could go.

Pete

I'm no stranger to B&Q but I've never seen anything like this. Instead I've spent today routing some timber to the shape needed. I'm out galivanting tomorrow so it'll be Saturday before I get back to it. The plan is to make two wooden frames, a bit like photo frames but bigger, that will screw together sandwiching the door and the glass between them. The outside doesn't get much weather so they'll probably last as long as they need to. Thanks for your inputs Pete and Haggis.
Bob

Back