Replacing a lock for which there is no key (i.e. cutting it out)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evildrome

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Can anyone identify this type of lock?

1651672849127.png

1651672881616.png

Its a cupboard door in my landlords building. He's going going to rent me the cupboard as extra space for my unit but he can't find the key.

Is it just a case of a 1mm parting disk through the deadbolt and then take the lock out?

I'd like to be able to identify this lock so that I can buy a new one and replace it as soon as I have the old one out.

I'm thinking its this or similar:

1651673458887.png

Thanks !

Wilson.

Let the landlord do it?
I think thats the type of lock you will end up replacing
Make sure when you do that the flat part of the lock body that fits flush to the door is about the same size so you don't end up with wood work filling to make it look best. It might be worth taking the keyplate off - 2 screws in case you are able to attack the lock that way by drilling through and moving the deadbolt bit with a screwdriver.
Any similar doors/locks anywhere else in the building as the same key might fit - a longshot but a few mins to try

It looks like an Era fortress to me, though it could be a viscount. What colour is the case you see through the keyhole?

Either of those locks have anti saw rollers in the bolt, which are hardened steel rollers loosely fitted in the brass bolt. When the grinder hits then they'll spin, and be a real pipper to get through.

I think that Sketch is right........ unless it's a cheap imitation, it's designed to prevent what you have in mind.

Unless a professional can pick his way in, as they do on the telly, it is probably easier to junk the whole door and fit (or make) a new one.

Lock looks as if the key is closer to the edge of the door than era one. Measure the distance from the centre of the key hole to the edge and compare with new lock. I had a similar one seize or jam so the key wouldnt turn. Managed to cut it eventually with an angle grinder and thin cutting blade. It was an odd one. Only 1.5" from the edge of door. Tried a hacksaw but wouldnt touch the hardened steel rods within it. A locksmith may be able to help though.

If it's a viscount it is easily opened by drilling a small hole in the door and manipulating the levers. Likewise the Fortress, but that will require a tct tipped drillbit as the levers are protected by a hardened plate, so more of a challenge.

Could try from the frame side. Take off the architrave and chop out a section of the door liner with an oscillating multitool saw. Much easier to make good than messing with the door - and refitting the architrave will cover any damage.

I have done as Evildrone suggested on an Era lock to my garage. It took a bit of time as the anti saw rollers put up a bit of a fight and the disks were only just deep enough to get right through the bolt. I would suggest you have a minimum of 3 disks available.

Saw around the whole lock with a sabre type saw; throw the door away and put in a new one ?

Can you cut or punch the pins out of the hinges and get the door off that way?
This is a easy way to get the job done if the dead bolt has the security rollers mentioned above-then a pair of hinges and a new lock with no frame damage especially if the heavy duty keep is fitted .

I think you should get the landlord to foot the bill for a lock-smith. You might be surprised how easy many of them can unlock door locks. You should be able to send a photo so they can identify it before coming out and may even be able to furnish you with a new set of keys for the same lock saving the landlord having to fit a new one. You may also be surprised how easy the landlord may actually find the original keys if he thinks he might have to foot the bill.

OK, guys, thanks for the suggestions.

I think I'll just get a locksmith.

The whole building has a sensitive fire alarm system so using a grinder was always going to be a last option.

Thanks!

Wilson.

Latest posts

Back