Replacement Tool Rest Locking Handle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
This broke today on my sorby lathe. The outside diameter of the main screw is just under 10mm, I'm assuming it's a metric [edit - imperial, not metric!] thread.
IMG_2293.jpg

Can i get a replacement for the broken bit or for the whole thing? I've seen Axi sell replacements for their lathes but they don't look the same and again, i'm assuming they'd be metric?
Thanks C

Attachments

• IMG_2293.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 278
You can get metal locking handles if you want to upgrade while you’re at it. Only a few quid for the whole thing. I think what you’d be looking for is an M10 one.

Thanks Trevanion - I've no idea why i wrote that i assume it's metric - it's an old-ish English lathe, so i should have said imperial, but actually I don't know which.*
Can I get them in imperial? Just searched again for metal ones but they seem dedicated to current lathes, again i assume that means they're metric (yes, metric :oops: )?

*OK, with apologies - I just fitted an m10 bolt on it smoothly so the thread's M10!

ps Found it -
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-l ... s-ax864163
and that's just down the road.

Just do a search on Bristol levers; loads of suppliers.
Make sure you get the male type like yours, although I dare say you could put studs into female ones if necessary.
Duncan

Another common name for them is Kipp handle - Kipp make an extensive range, have done for decades and their quality is good.
Take a look at the websites of
goodhand.co.uk
Norelem
Wixroyd
These firms all supply a big range of standard industrial parts including the handles you need.

Some lovely metal and stainless ones available but they're not cheap from what I could find - especially once delivery was included. Searching's not helped much by the variety of names for the same thing. I'll get one in the morning at axminster so I can carry on turning tomorrow and keep looking for a metal one to replace the axi one when it breaks.
Thanks all.
ps the axminster one's 50mm and I want 20mm - can I saw it off and try to clean up the thread, or just live with it sticking out too far til i get one the right length?

Chris152":25k1z3uf said:
I'll get one in the morning at axminster so I can carry on turning tomorrow and keep looking for a metal one to replace the axi one when it breaks.
Thanks all.
ps the axminster one's 50mm and I want 20mm - can I saw it off and try to clean up the thread, or just live with it sticking out too far til i get one the right length?

The Axi ones are metal going by the listing “die cast alloy”. In the M10 size the metal should last a very long time but in the smaller sizes like M6 the alloy ones can round out and jump teeth if it’s poor quality.

There shouldn’t be too much of a problem cutting down the handle, put a nut on before you cut it so when you take the nut off it takes off any burrs and cleans up the thread :). You might still have to file a little chamfer around the cut end though to aid threading it into its location.

Trevanion":1f0rkewu said:
The Axi ones are metal going by the listing “die cast alloy”. In the M10 size the metal should last a very long time but in the smaller sizes like M6 the alloy ones can round out and jump teeth if it’s poor quality.

There shouldn’t be too much of a problem cutting down the handle, put a nut on before you cut it so when you take the nut off it takes off any burrs and cleans up the thread :). You might still have to file a little chamfer around the cut end though to aid threading it into its location.
Aha - I'd just assumed they were plastic, good news - and the idea of putting a nut on to guide the saw/ clean up is really helpful, I've cut a number in the past and sometimes spoilt the thread with the saw hopping all over the place.

Latest posts

Back