Replacement Planer Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corset

Established Member
Reaction score
I have for sometime struggled with fitting blades to my planer thicknesser. It always takes me forever. I initially thought I would have to persevere but, Cutting Solutions, a member here located a source of disposable blades that can be retrofitted. They are brilliant and I would reccommend the system as once set it just a case of changing the double sided tips.

They consist of a carrier and a blade
DSC01310.jpg

And a disposable blades
DSC01309.jpg

Fitted Together
DSC01312.jpg

In the planer
DSC01307.jpg

An excellent system that may benefit those that are useless at setting planer blades like me. Ironically I have now got a system I like, I however i had a speculative bid on ebay and won a new planer (ebay is my great weakness) So my sedgewick is up for sale with these blades if anybody is intrested. I will be upgrading the blades on the new planer to this system if possible.

owen

Fitted

Sounds great.

How much and what sizes are available? Couldn't find them on the CS website.

I'd like some for my Wadkin BFT9.

They are about £130.00 as you have to have a minimum order. But you get twelve double sided blades. That will keep most people going a long time. I expect if several people clubbed in might reduce the minimum order.

and the cost of each blade when you need to buy more?

Corset didnt explain why the minimum number.
I dont buy a lot from that particular supplier so import costs and bank charges make the product more expensive.
they arent on the web site because its impossible to show every product available on a small footprint.

If your planer has plain knives (no slots or fitting holes) there is a replacement available, but I need to know the size.(length, height and width)...If I had manuals for every machine made I would need the British Library to store them for me.
As somone said club together and I can split an order.
260 mm holders @ 6.50 each
260 mm HSS knives @ 8.00 each (beware when comparing prices. there is a cheaper knife made of High Chrome which will last but are not as good as the HSS)
+ post
+vat

CS, basically I meant that the 'disposable' knives do not IMO represent good value to the hobby worker.
On my Metabo thicknesser I was quoted over fifty pounds per set.
My DeWalt thicknesser was about thirty and they can be re sharpened.
I appreciate that in certain environments the speed of change may well be important, but the last set of knives for my Metabo were shot before I had thicknessed the Iroko for the computer cabinet I'm now sitting at.

Roy.

the silver ones are High Chrome.
Not suited to Iroco at all.
260 mm ones would have cost 3.75 each.

I suspect thats what you were sold. and charged an extremely high price if you were charged 50.00 for a set. not sure how long the metabo ones are but you could do a rough calculation from the 260 prices i have indicated above.

Bloody hell! Mind you my local supplier wanted just under fifty pounds for a jig saw that I subsequently obtained from a DIY shed for twenty three.
I should have known!
I shall know who to deal with in future.

Roy.

Back