Replacement motors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi!

Time to de-lurk ... I'm Mike. Just setting up a workshop (one half of a double garage). Lined the walls with Rockwool slabs, covered in OSB board, all painted. Got the floor covered in loft boarding over laminate floor underlay. All nice and cosy. Well, it will be once the electrics are sorted and I get some heat in there! :roll:

Sorry to de-lurk and launch straight in with a question, but ... I've just bought a used table saw (Startrite TA275) wired for 3 phase. (Figured it would be a good way to get a decent cast iron machine without breaking the bank). I need to find a replacement motor and starter. I know Screwfix and Machine Mart do them and I think Axminster do too (although I can't find them on the website) but does anyone know of other sources? (Got to be induction type btw and 3hp)

Cheers,
Mike

(Great resource this by the way!!)

Have you considered a single to three phase convertor? They aren't that expensive compared to the alternative which is to get a new motor?

Adam

Hi Adam,

I had looked at converters but I think they're more expensive. Machine Mart do a 3hp motor for about 90-quid and starter for another 25 or so. I think converters were more than that IIRC.

Of course the logic changes if I get another 3ph machine in the future ...

Cheers,
Mike.

(Who's just noticed that 3ph and 3hp are very similar ... its the small things ... :roll: )

I may be wrong but the motors that Machine Mart sell are intended for constant torque uses(compressors), at least that was what a salesman told me

mikewood You may want to speak to DaveL as he has just done this with an old wadkin saw, PM him he may just have the answer. But then again he may be along in a mo.

Bean

In a not entirely frivolous vein - have you priced getting three phase into your garage? Woody may have some figures as he's gone that way. I guess it depends on where you are vis a vis substation etc. but old (yet excellent) three phase machinery is pretty cheap since much of it can't be used in commercial shops any longer. I reckon a few old machine purchases in future could be enough to justify it (in the right location and with a following wind!)

Thanks everyone! Sage advice.

I think SWMBO would "have something to say" about getting 3ph in the garage. Also, are there any planning or insurance implications to doing that - would I be turning the place into some sort of commercial premises in their eyes?

Back to the motors - must admit I didn't really think there'd be much of a torque requirement to spinning a saw blade, even through hardwood. Am I sorely mistaken? Not that there seems to be much choice over it. Seems you get a hp figure in the motor spec and that's it ... :roll:

Cheers,
Mike.

Mike,

Congratulations on buying a nice cast iron beast, having got my old Wadkin into use I wonder why it took me so long to move up to a quality tool. :D

Three phase converters come in two types, static and rotary. Static ones are quite cheap but are no good on a saw. :( They have to be adjusted to match the load, so they work OK on constant load machines. Rotary converter cost more as they have a motor built in that is used to do the conversion, they cope with varying loads OK. If you are going to buy loads of old 3 phase kit, get one, but for one machine a new motor is a more cost effective solution.

There are at least two types of single phase motors out there. The main difference is the starting torque. On a saw the startup is no load so the slightly cheaper type is OK. If you where fitting a motor on a compressor that did not have a device to unload the tank pressure off the pump then a high startup torque is required.

The Wadkin had a 3ph 2hp motor fitted as standard. I found that the cost of going to 1ph 3hp was only £30 more than 1ph 2hp and as 1ph motors tend not to be quite as up for it as 3ph ones thats the way I went. :shock: I have cut some large pieces of ash on the saw and the motor just kept purring away. 8) The only down side of going to 3ph is the need for a 16amp outlet for the machine, with its own circuit breaker in the board, I did this mod in the workshop in December just before part 'P' came in. 8)

Now there are a couple of other things to check, I have a proper pair of safety glasses and a beard, I have bought a dado cutter and an Osborne EB3 miter guide. I am waiting for the Delta 34-182 Tenoning jig to get here from the USA, but I do not wear check shirts or fire brads into the front of everything I make. :roll:
So if you feel the need to wear a nail pouch that a fencer would find useful while cabinet making please ask for help. :wink: :roll: :lol:

Thanks Dave.

Looks like I'll be going to Machine Mart for the new motor - especially as they have a store in town ...

Didn't you get your motor from Axminster? Can't seem to find 'em on the website. :?

Yours in Norm,

Mike.

Mike,

I found a motor importer in Ipswich, just up the road for me. I think I used yell.com looking for motor suppliers. At the time Machine Mart were not local but they have now opened a branch in Colchester.

I phoned the place and the chap was very helpful, gave me a discount that matched what I could get one for mail order so I bought it from a local supplier. :D

Here are the motors on the Axminster site.

Although Tony disagrees with the man in Machine mart ,when I asked them they told me their motors were not suitable for a table saw. I can't imagine anyone lying themselves out of a sale so just ask before you buy, they may now sell different motors.

Thanks Jaymar.

As I can pop in to the local Machine Mart, I'll be sure to quiz them before parting with any cash!

Cheers,
Mike.

Sorry Jaymar, didn't mean to disagree with your point - as you say the salesman wouldn't want to talk himself out of a sale unless it was true (or he thought it was true)!

Sorry Dave. Forgot to say thanks for your last post. :oops:

Thanks!

Don't know how I missed the motors on the Axminster site! :roll:

Cheers,
Mike.

Back