Replacement LV Knob

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Following the recent Smoother thread, YDB1MD kinda sent me a replacement front knob for my LA Smoother (all the way from the States!)
It is the "mushroom" style one from the LA Jack and fitted straight onto the smoother.
2005_0622pics20001.jpg

It feels a lot better to me-I kept rubbing the side of my hand on the side of the plane with the standard knob. Well worth getting if you suffer from this on your plane. What with this and Alfs recent handle escapades I think personalising hand tools is becoming the new "Big Thing" :lol:
Anyway,
Thanks again to dave for his generosity,
cheers
Philly :D
2005_0622pics20003.jpg

Ooo, chic. That was exceedingly generous of you, Dave. You realise it's a bench he needs now, I suppose...? :wink: :lol:

Perhaps it's just me imagining things, but can anyone else hear the sound of heads banging against walls and quiet sobs from the Veritas R&D department...? :-k

Cheers, Alf

I know Philly uses his tools therefore we cannot expect to see them in pristine just out of the box condition but there seems to be an awful lot of rust on the front of that there plane.

Another advantage of MDF I suppose.

Andy

Sorry about the rust-seems to be the point of "most rust" for me, for some reason.
Apologies to L-V R+D-you can stop banging your heads against the wall, I'm happy now! If only I could fit the 2 1/2 inch blade in there though........... :roll: No, only joking!

Philly":190di9a8 said:
Sorry about the rust-seems to be the point of "most rust" for me, for some reason.
Eeek! :shock: And there I was telling myself it was just a trick of the light. [-X Where've you been keeping it? In the bath?! :sick:

Cheers, Alf

Philly":1uewhizs said:
Thanks again to dave for his generosity,
cheers

You're very welcome Philly. I was quite happy to share my revelation with you. An added plus with the lower knob is that now all of my BU planes will share more than a passing family resemblance. ;)

I'd send you a bench but I don't think that you nor I could afford the postage. I'm still awaiting a silk cover for my bench from mahking51 -- that should keep it looking good for a while. https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5421&start=15

Philly":3fwxtoko said:
...Philly :D
Wow! I had thought it also just a trick of light or a reflection of something. Is that the only plane that seems to attract the dreaded red disease? Looks like it from your web site...

Which speaking of, took a look at how the zebrano table is coming along. I sure love the way zebrano looks oiled. It's gonna look nice I think.

Alf":3foicjb0 said:
(snip)
Perhaps it's just me imagining things, but can anyone else hear the sound of heads banging against walls and quiet sobs from the Veritas R&D department...? :-k

Cheers, Alf

What... you mean over the whole idea of accomplished woodworkers fretting over the shape of a few wooden parts?? :roll: :roll:

If we had 28 handle options - the declared preference would still be for a 29th... :lol: :lol:

You will note, of course, that he's just dumped the "traditional" Stanley (and everyone else's) knob... :wink:

Cheers -

Rob
(buried in the hardware selection for fall....)

Rob Lee":2lkhf00e said:
You will note, of course, that he's just dumped the "traditional" Stanley (and everyone else's) knob... :wink:

Rob, continue to bring us over to the Dark Side, he does. Resist him, we must.

Ha hum. Only 'cos the non-traditional plane it was on was hurting his ickle hand... Unless he's been replacing the knobs on all his other planes on the quiet too? No, we would have heard of the vast movements of timber supplies moved to Dorest to enable him to do so... :wink:

(buried in the hardware selection for fall....)
Faint cries for help are heard from under a heap of handles, hinges and other hardware. A hand waves despairingly from the pile, but to no avail...

Hey, Philly, you don't fancy unscrewing the bolt on the unwanted knob I suppose? I was just wondering what sort of fixing it is and I didn't much want to risk trashing my (needed) ones. Sort of wondering about a 29th design... :wink: Hmm, maybe a pierced design - that should guarantee some fretting. <groan> :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":37zhd06b said:
... Unless he's been replacing the knobs on all his other planes on the quiet too? No, we would have heard of the vast movements of timber supplies moved to Dorest to enable him to do so... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Well, that assumes that he's still using his other planes. I wonder if that rust is from use or disuse? :-k

Personally, my stanley's are gathering dust and getting jealous of "the new guys."

Thank you God, Thank you God, Thank you God (assorted bowing, scraping, sacrificing chickens and virgins type noises) - I'M NOT THE ONLY PERSON WHO IS CURSED BY RUST!!! Philly - I want to marry you...

ydb1md":1onu7yrv said:
..snip..I wonder if that rust is from use or disuse? .snip..

It looks to me to be associated with persperation from hand contact, it only needs a few hours to take hold if there is any acidic-salt contamination.

My left hand always seems to touch that area when I use most planes (except the #7)-you will all be pleased to know I got the 400 grit wet/dry paper out tonight and polished away the rust. Sorry :oops: :wink:
Alf-as to the thread mounting method. Might just have a yank at it (no pun intended) and see what happens.
Shady-calm down man! (sentiment received!! :lol: )
MikeW-table is almost finished-pics/gloats to follow! :roll:
Rob-The trad knob irony is not lost on me-just shows how persuasive your new thinking tools are! :D

So about this low angle table saw idea..............

Cheers

Alf This looks like a project to justify you finding a power source for your lathe :)

The knobs I have no problem sourcing for myself, it's the planes to fix them to that are conspicuous by their absence around here. :cry: :cry:

Rob Lee":ipwlvbvv said:
If we had 28 handle options - the declared preference would still be for a 29th...

Rob, I just had an apostrophe...

How about, instead of 28 different tote and knob styles (which, as you pointed out, would be futile), what if you had two options, the standard tote and a tote BLANK for the purchaser to finish as he or she pleases. Might even take some of the taboo away from cutting into your brand new plane tote because this one's meant to be cut into...

Rob the Poser":fnnh23rg said:
Rob Lee":fnnh23rg said:
If we had 28 handle options - the declared preference would still be for a 29th...

Rob, I just had an apostrophe...

(snip)

Hi Rob -

That apostrophe is quite a comma one... :lol:

We've talked about making such a handle - but when it was given to our designers, they drew a blank... #-o 8)

Hold that thought... there's something else on the slate...!

Cheers -

Rob

Shady":1ugjmtti said:
Thank you God, Thank you God, Thank you God (assorted bowing, scraping, sacrificing chickens and virgins type noises) - I'M NOT THE ONLY PERSON WHO IS CURSED BY RUST!!!

I run a dehumidifier in my shop and i still get rust every now and then. The "rust erasers" are great for taking care of the rust once it appears. I need to find an oil, other than wd-40, to use on my tools to prevent the stuff though. Would antiperspirant work on my hands? :lol:

Rob spake:
You will note, of course, that he's just dumped the "traditional" Stanley (and everyone else's) knob...

Even the mighty Lee Valley research dept. didn't invent the mushroom.

Apparently The Auburn Tool company put metal mushroom shaped knobs on their planes, and user have been known to do it. If you look in Robert Wearing's book, you'll see many knobs of this type, on both Bailey and home-made planes.

http://nika.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswi ... 75#message
http://nika.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswi ... 36#message
http://nika.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswi ... 34#message

BugBear (who thinks they look comfy)

Back