Replacement Kitchen Cabinet Hinge Source?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had a somewhat sticky hinge fall apart on me, in a cupboard in my kitchen. The fitted kitchen was in the house when I bought it, and I've lived here 20 years.

With apologies to members to earn a living by fitting kitchens, Since I don't wish to buy a new kitchen, so I'd like to "just" replace the hinge.

Herewith:

situ.jpg

back.jpg

It engages with a 2 part plate on the carcase;

plates.jpg

The all-important fitting to the door;

holes2.jpg

And my measured version of it;

xey_hinge.png

The key "non-negotiable" seems to be the 35mm hole, centre 22mm from the edge, 14mm deep.

So - can I get a usable replacement?

Advice, knowledge and experience all welcomed.

BugBear

Attachments

• situ.jpg
    situ.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 282
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 283
  • plates.jpg
    plates.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 283
  • xey_hinge.png
    xey_hinge.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 285
  • holes2.jpg
    holes2.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 283
Its a pretty standard 35mm concealed hinge for overlay doors with a 0mm crank, ie straight.

I think you would be best to buy 2 hinges and 2 hinge plates.

The DBE (distance bore to edge) of 4.5mm I think means a hinge plate with height of 0mm will give you sufficient sideways adjustment -not totally sure on that though.

You need sprung, 110 degree, screw fixing as opposed to dowel or varianta screw)

You have a choice of slide on or click fittkng, make sure you have matching plates.

If you look on the Hafele site you will see the different options. This is one example, Im not suggesting this is the one you need, just that the pdf will show the specs.

http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/p/standard ... 10188/8565

I've now measured the distance of the plate fixing-screw-holes from the cabinet front edge;

15.3 mm and 46.5 mm

Edit; so the spacing is 31.2

BugBear

This looks very hopeful;

http://www.eurofitdirect.co.uk/how-to-g ... ns-hinges/

The main hole, at 35mm, centre 21.5 from edge is fairly standard (and matches my existing door).

But even their screws holes are 48 mm apart, which is also a match.

My screw holes measure at 28.5 mm from the edge; the page says 6mm from the hole main centre; which is at 21.5, so their screw holes are 27.5 from the edge; that might just work.

BugBear

Most hole centres for kitchen fixings are at 32mm centres, so the centres on your plate may be that size.

Looks promising. Dont forget the hinges have some adjustment, in/out and side to side.

You may find 110 degree hinge from screwfix or toolstation will work as a cheap option

O.K. having checked up;

My door are drilled with a 35mm hole, 21.5 mm from the edge, and the screw fixing holes are on 48mm centres, 6 mm back from the main hole.

The hinges are full overlay ("zero crank", I think that's also called), with slide on, in line mounting plates.

Since I intend to change to cruciform plates, the screw positions of the plates doesn't matter.

The carcase sides are 16mm, and the door 18.5mm; the door open around 100°;

Can anyone recommend good brands and suppliers? (when I find a model that fits, I'll probably order half a dozen; I suspect
my hinges may be getting to the end of their life, so I'll stock some spares)

So far, I've found HAFELE 316.01.608 and the Eurofit HF61001.

Many manufacturers quote the screw hole spacing (48mm) but not the offset from the cup (6mm), which makes being confident a part will fit tricky.

BugBear

I think Robin has already given good advise but for more makes try Hettich and Blum but don't think there is that much difference between the major manufactures

Beau":1iyqu7u5 said:
I think Robin has already given good advise but for more makes try Hettich and Blum but don't think there is that much difference between the major manufactures

This morning I didn't know what DBE stood for, or why I shoud care...

In my ignorance, I would greatly appreciate a list, even a rough one, of the major manufacturers.

BugBear

I've done some googling and found some makers; anyone care to comment on applicability and/or quality and/or value of:

* Hettich
* Blum
* Hafele
* Salice

:?: :?:

BugBear

bugbear":zaqnfo82 said:
I've done some googling and found some makers; anyone care to comment on applicability and/or quality and/or value of:

* Hettich
* Blum
* Hafele
* Salice

BugBear

and Grass

Hafele are re-sellers rather than manufacturers so their hinges will be one of the above.

I think all of the above would be good quality.

as bad as this sounds on here, IKEA sell blum hinges and they are the cheapest supplier I've found (£5 for 4 hinges)
granted you aren't going to get a choice of type of hinge but for euro style 110 degree 35mm stuff I don't think you can beat that price.

shame it means going to IKEA.

novocaine":2u2917gt said:
as bad as this sounds on here, IKEA sell blum hinges and they are the cheapest supplier I've found (£5 for 4 hinges)
granted you aren't going to get a choice of type of hinge but for euro style 110 degree 35mm stuff I don't think you can beat that price.

Thanks for the info - but my nearest IKEA is around 100 miles away!

BugBear

bugbear":2d8gvvow said:
novocaine":2d8gvvow said:

Thanks for the info - but my nearest IKEA is around 100 miles away!

BugBear

Treat yourself to scandinavian meatballs then :D

RobinBHM":3ok6gh5a said:
bugbear":3ok6gh5a said:

* Hettich
* Blum
* Hafele
* Salice

BugBear

and Grass

Hafele are re-sellers rather than manufacturers so their hinges will be one of the above.

I think all of the above would be good quality.

Thanks for that. I'm having a nightmare with the sheer range of hinges/plates/brands available, and the difficulty of getting the screw hole information (48x6), and finding them for sale in retail (less than a 10 pack) quantities.

I think I've spent around 3 hours searching and learning so far.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

BugBear

bugbear":mh6u7m1i said:
Thanks for that. I'm having a nightmare with the sheer range of hinges/plates/brands available, and the difficulty of getting the screw hole information (48x6), and finding them for sale in retail (less than a 10 pack) quantities.

BugBear
OK, let's make it simpler. Buy Blum hinges from http://www.trade-hinges.co.uk or http://www.manddonline.co.uk, with or without soft-closer, with standard (pressed steel) cruciform fixing plates. AFAIK manufacturers (certainly Blum) typically quote hinge fixing holes relative to the hinge centre (e.g. here) - but unless you're using 'inserta' or knock-in hinges, what does it matter? If they don't match, fill the holes with 2-pack filler and re-drill - old holes will almost certainly be covered by the hinge boss.

HTH Peter

petermillard":1522rwnq said:
bugbear":1522rwnq said:

BugBear
OK, let's make it simpler. Buy Blum hinges from http://www.trade-hinges.co.uk or http://www.manddonline.co.uk, with or without soft-closer, with standard (pressed steel) cruciform fixing plates. AFAIK manufacturers (certainly Blum) typically quote hinge fixing holes relative to the hinge centre (e.g. here) - but unless you're using 'inserta' or knock-in hinges, what does it matter? If they don't match, fill the holes with 2-pack filler and re-drill - old holes will almost certainly be covered by the hinge boss.

HTH Peter
Do what Pete says :)

Another option for sourcing the blum hinges is benchmarx. If you have one near you they sell packs of two with plates.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

After much reading of catalogues (and learning of new concepts) I plumped for the
Salice Series 200, which seems fairly well made, and has "my" exact drill
pattern (part #C2A6A99, for those that care!!)

The Hafele "Essentials" would also have fit, but did not appear as well made (ditto the Eurofit hinges).

My grateful thanks to the people who guided me.

BugBear

After much prevarication (fairly well documented in this thread, and this other one ) I have marked, drilled and fitted my replacement hinges.

The overlay is wrong - even with the lateral adjust on the hinge-plates at its limit there a great big gap between the doors; I clearly need the 3mm mounting plates, not the 0mm ones.

https://salicedirect.com/collections/mo ... =791573695

A simple return/re-order will sort this.

But - just to be wise in hindsight - what measurement(s) could I / should I have taken to have ordered the correct part the first time around?

BugBear

Back